In support of the Student Affairs Learning Outcomes, the Department of Student Engagement manages three facilities on campus – the Argyros Forum Student Union, the Doti-Struppa Rock Wall and the Julianne Argyros Fitness Center. The Guest Relations Assistant (GRA) is responsible for providing excellent customer service to all guests. Along with the Guest Relations Coordinators (GRC), graduate assistants, and professional staff, the GRA will collectively develop and implement services, resources, and programs related to fitness, recreation, wellness and general student life. Through the execution of the responsibilities listed below, the GRA position serves to create welcoming environments that will contribute to the University by building social connections, increasing the students’ pride in their university and improving students’ healthy sense of self.
The Guest Relations Assistant position has three employment periods:
- 9 Month: August 2018-May 2019 Mandatory employment during fall and spring.
- 10 Month: August 2018-May 2019 Mandatory employment during fall, interterm and spring.
- Summer: May 2017-August 2018 Mandatory employment during summer. June 29-August 26, 2018.
- Provide excellent, proactive customer service to all guests including accurate information to telephone and in-person questions regarding Chapman University and our facilities.
- Along with GRC team, provide amenities, programs and services including:
- Guest Relations staff development and scheduling
- Argyros Forum Student Union Gallery
- Laptops To Go, Mobile Charge and other technology services
- Hashinger Lockers
- Union Fit and other recreation and wellness programs
- Amazon Locker
- Doti-Struppa Rock Wall & Outdoor Recreation Gear
- Live Sports & Entertainment Viewing
- Complete Active Laps to provide visual security of the facilities and their furnishings/equipment; monitor and address potential safety/liability problems, report repair needs
- Ensure all equipment and furnishings are working properly and that facilities are clean and tidy. Responsibilities include routine maintenance and cleaning as well as submitting work requests for major issues to campus departments.
- Promote programs and services and provide support for activities and events taking place in the facilities.
- Post signs, daily schedules and other administrative tasks as required.
- Attend all scheduled meetings and training sessions.
- Attend monthly Guest Relations staff meetings led by the GRC staff
- Assist in Student Engagement department-wide events
- Assist in other duties as assigned including staffing other facilities such as the Cross-Cultural Center
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate customer needs
- Dependability and accountability
- Initiative and the ability to work independently with little supervision
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Time management skills
- Ability to manage conflict and apply feedback to work performance
- Attention to detail and ability to accept direction
- Positive image and tidy appearance
- Willingness to work and learn
- Ability to use standard office equipment including computer, copier, telephones
- Work study students only
- Minimum of a 2.5 GPA
- Familiarity with departments and organizations at Chapman
- Demonstrated desire to learn
- Knowledge of or experience with campus policies and procedures
- Previous experience with customer service positions
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certified through May 2019
- Ability to climb a ladder
- Ability to lift objects of 45 lbs
Guest Relations Assistants will be paid $11/hour in 2018. The compensation is scheduled to increase to $11.50/hour in 2019.
Start Date/Time Commitment:
The start date and required training dates will be confirmed on an individual basis when an offer of employment is made.
- 9 Month and 10 Month GRA: August 2018-May 2019
- Mandatory training in August 2018.
- 8-10 hours per week on average.
- Summer GRA: June 2018-August 2018
- Mandatory training in June 2018.
- 20-25 hours per week on average.
Late-night, early morning and weekend hours are required.
8-month GRAs are allowed to serve as Orientation Assistants or Orientation Coordinators; however, Summer GRA and 9-month GRA are not allowed to serve as Orientation Assistants or Orientation Coordinators.
The Department of Student Engagement will provide CPR/First Aid/AED certification training at no charge to each Guest Relations staff member who does not already have a certification valid through May 2019.