Working With Filmmakers
The Entertainment Contracts Law Clinic provides students with a unique opportunity to work directly with low budget independent filmmakers and to serve as production legal counsel for a feature length motion picture.
In conjunction with entertainment industry organizations such as the Directors Guild of America, the clinic's director, Kathy Heller, identifies eligible film(s) that are ready to begin production. The producer and/or director of the selected film then works directly with clinical students who will draft all production-related contracts and documents. Students typically assist in:
- setting up the corporation or LLC
- filing for copyright
- drafting employment agreements for the producer, director, actors and crew
- executing releases and location agreements
Students will complete the production legal work for a minimum of two films per semester. The names of the participating students will also appear in the film credits.
Filmmakers who have used the services offered by the Working with Filmmakers Legal Clinic have won numerous awards and honors, including:
- Newport Beach Film Festival Audience Award for Best U.S. Film
- Netflix Find Your Voice Film Competition
- Denver International Film Festival People’s Choice Award
- LA Film Festival premier film
- Tribeca Film Festival Official Selection
- AFI Film Festival Official Breakthrough Selection
- Urbanworld Film Festival Narrative Audience Award
- Chicago International Film Festival Official Selection
- Cinequest Film Festival Premier
- Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles selection.
For more information, please feel free to contact us:
Professor Kathy Heller, Director
Phone: (714) 628-2675