Providing personalized education from some of the nation's top legal educators, the Chapman University Fowler School of Law offers a full-time program leading to the Juris Doctor degree. In addition, the School of Law offers a joint JD/MBA degree with Chapman's AACSB-accredited Argyros School of Business and Economics, and a joint JD/MFA degree with Chapman's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts.
» The Juris Doctor at Chapman
+ - The Required Curriculum
These core classes provide the essentials for students in legal studies and cover foundational topics such as torts, contracts, criminal law, real property, civil procedure, legal research and writing. The required curriculum also grounds students in corporations and federal income taxation, constitutional law, evidence and professional responsibility.
+ - The Lawyering Skills Curriculum
Skills training is the practical, experiential component of the student's education, where they begin to acquire the skills essential to the practice of law. In these courses, students gain competency in negotiation, client interviewing and counseling, mediation, advanced legal research, advocacy, appellate practices and procedures, legal drafting, and trial practice.
+ - The Advanced Curriculum
These electives integrate the student's legal knowledge and lawyering skills with vital practical experience necessary for success in the field. Explore the clinics, externships, and competitions that serve to enhance the student's law degree experience.
For more information, please feel free to contact us.
+ - The Honor Code
All students are governed by the Honor Code, the exclusive policy for dealing with ethical violations that include lying, cheating, stealing, plagiarism, harassment, criminal actions committed on campus, crimes committed after admission and while off campus, and obstruction. The Honor Council serves as the ultimate adjudicatory body in all Honor Code proceedings. Council members are drawn from the faculty and the student body. A copy of this Code is included in The Student Handbook and made available to new students upon matriculation through the office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Updates to The Code or the Handbook are posted to the law school website at the beginning of the each fall semester. View the Handbook.
Law students are cautioned that they are also responsible for scrupulous adherence to the wider Student Conduct Code of Chapman University.
+ - Learning Outcomes
The School of Law faculty have identified the following learning outcomes as critical to a law degree and to developing the skills needed to become a proficient attorney.
1. Graduates will know basic principles of the substantive and procedural law covered in the following courses: Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Contracts, Corporations / Business Associations, Criminal Law, Evidence, Federal Income Taxation, Professional Responsibility, Property and Torts.
2. Graduates will be able to engage in legal analysis and reasoning as required for the competent practice of the law.
3. Graduates will research legal issues effectively and efficiently.
4. Graduates will demonstrate the ability to write effectively as needed for the competent practice of law.
5. Graduates will orally communicate in a professional manner that is audience appropriate.
6. Graduates will demonstrate an understanding of and an ability to engage in the professional conduct expected of practicing attorneys, and the ethical standards set out in the ABA model rules, required to competently represent clients and to provide for an effectively functioning legal system.
7. Graduates will be able to diagnose problems confronting clients, understand clients’ objectives, and generate strategies to achieve those objectives.
Our legal clinics provide pro bono services in a diverse range of subject areas.
Students participate in classroom training sessions as well as hands-on field work that may include client contact, research projects, document preparation, brief writing, and court appearances.
- Academic Awards and Honors
- Continuing Legal Education
- Course Descriptions +
- Emphasis Areas +
- Juris Doctor
- Joint Degree Programs +
- LL.M. Programs +
- Full-Time and Part-Time Students
- Study Abroad +
- JD Fast Track Option