» Welcome to CRASsH and BURN
- CRASsH Groups
Chapman Research Arts Social Sciences Humanities
CRASsH is designed to build a strong research culture within Wilkinson College. It will be the primary infrastructure to support and encourage high level research that will define our college as the research college of the University. At its core is true interdisciplinarity – a form of knowledge without borders, defined outside of departmental structure. It will become the umbrella that will unify our research efforts and provide key support to develop and sustain this research. While recognizing the benefits of research collaboration, CRASsH also aims to support the work of the individual scholar, providing opportunities that may not ordinarily be available. In difficult economic times (when the support for Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences is severely contracting and funding is becoming ever more competitive) this initiative aims to allow us to define ourselves by what we see as important and significant.
- Authorship in Context: Creative Vision Analysis and Development
- By building research groups with specific focus and identity we will raise the research productivity and profile of the college
- Provide support (funding, staff support, travel, students) to facilitate research
- Build grant and donor funds
- Provide students with access to research activities
- Create a flow of researchers to and from the college
- Develop a unique PhD program
- Run nationally and internationally recognized conferences based around CRASsH groups
CRASsH groups will be supported in numerous ways, including:
- Grant seeking and writing
- Travel for conferences
- Student support
- Teaching release
- Funding to support activities
- Chapman University NVivo Education Center
What is NVivo?
QSR International is the leading software for analyzing qualitative data. Acting as a workspace, Nvivo software helps researchers to manage, shape and interpret unstructured information. It offers tools that assist with classifying, sorting and arranging information.
Why use Chapman’s NVivo Education Center?
The Chapman NVivo Education Center offers resources to help teaching staff and students at Chapman University incorporate NVico research software into course work or study. Visit the Education Center for resource guides, tutorials, and webinars exclusive to Chapman faculty and students.
How do you take advantage of this wonderful opportunity?
Go to the Wilkinson College Team Site located on MyWindows. If you are on campus your computer is automatically logged in to MyWindows, however, if you are logged in remotely, you will need to sign-in to MyWindows. The Chapman University NVivo Education Center is located under the links column to the far right.
+ - Constitution of the Research Groups
Successful groups that will be supported by the college will:
- Have representation from at least two different departments/programs.
- Demonstrate a coherent and innovative ‘theme’, most likely this will be a ‘niche’ area located within established fields and at the same time be interdisciplinary and not department-centric.
- Have a viable number of members –somewhere between 4-10.
- Have completed the ‘formation of a research group’ proposal.
- Meet on a regular basis (at least three times each semester) and be able to produce an annual report on the work produced and in progress.
- Aim to contribute in a variety of ways to the research agenda. some examples of this are: hosting scholars; developing new cross departmental programs; publishing (edited works; joint publications); fostering student research; running a conference and/or symposium; developing research links outside of the college and university; presenting work at conferences.
+ - Connect with Colleagues and Search for Grants
Search for fellow faculty and colleagues who share your research interests at Pivot.
What is Pivot? Pivot gives Research Administrators, Research Development Professionals, and their institutions the edge to bring together the right research opportunities, funding, and people quickly and easily. It provides global and local connections that strengthen research by exploring new avenues for funding and collaboration for faculty, staff researchers, and graduate students. Go to the Pivot site now!
+ - CRASsH Newsletter Archives
+ - Funding Your Research: How To Get Started
Spring 2014, Wilkinson College purchased a webinar from Academic Research Grants for Wilkinson faculty. Those of you who were not able to attend, or who may be interested in viewing the webinar again, can do so on the Wilkinson College Team Site located on MyWindows. If you are on campus your computer is automatically logged in to MyWindows, however, if you are logged in remotely, you will need to sign-in to MyWindows. The webinar is located under the links column to the far right.
Download the corresponding slides. If you have any questions regarding MyWindows please contact the Help Desk at (714) 997-6600.
+ - CRASsH Workshops