»Film Production, Emphasis in Directing Graduate Application
In order to apply to the Film Production, directing emphasis graduate program, you must submit an application through Apply Yourself, as well as create an account through SlideRoom to upload your supplemental materials. Below are the materials required for each area.
- Apply Yourself Application
- Personal Information
- Dodge College Supplemental Materials submitted via SlideRoom
- Statement of Intent
- Unofficial copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript
- Creative Portfolio List
- Transformational Moment Essay
- Narrative Scene
- Visual Sample: Self-introductory Video Essay or Photo Narrative
- Narrative Work (Optional)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Other Required Documents that need to be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Official copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript
- Additional documentation is required for international students (see main Admissions Office website for more information)
- If your cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 you must submit a GRE score
SlideRoom Information: Once you have registered to start a submission via Slideroom, you may step away and come back at any time, until the final deadline. Please make sure that you save your progress after each visit, and do not click to submit until you are 100% sure that you have properly uploaded the required components outlined below. Once you click submit, you may no longer edit your creative portfolio. Do NOT wait until the last minute to register on Slideroom. And do NOT wait until the last minute to submit your creative portfolio, in the event any technical issues arise. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
No additional information should be sent to Dodge College or the Office of Admissions outside of what is required on the application. Any outside work sent to either office will not be reviewed as part of the admission process. All supplemental materials and recommendations MUST be submitted through Slideroom.
+-Supplemental Materials for 2014/2015
All Items below must be submitted through SlideRoom. Submissions sent any other way will not be accepted.
Creative Portfolio List
Upload a one to two page list of activities that demonstrates your potential in your area of chosen specialization focusing on creative accomplishments. Include in this list specific items that you could submit, if requested, to Dodge College of Film and Media Arts. Each listing should include a brief description of the work and your role in its creation.
Example of Portfolio listing (use this format):
Title: Roger's Car
16 minutes, Video 2005. Valley College
Log line: Unusual circumstance allows a sixteen-year-old to get his first car. I wrote this story for a creative writing class and produced the film with the help of my friends.
Transformational Moment Essay
Submit a two (2) page essay describing a transformational moment in your life. Explain how you gained wisdom and greater understanding of the human condition as a result of this experience. Essays should be typed, single-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, one-inch margins on all sides.
Thesis Film Essay
If you had to make a 20-25 minute long thesis film today, what would it be about? In no more than one (1) page, please describe the story you would tell in this film. Take care to limit your story to what can be shot in eight days for $ 15,000 – $20,000. Essays should be typed, single-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, one-inch margins on all sides.
Pick one (1) of the scenarios below and in no more than three (3) pages write a compelling dramatic scene. This may be written in short story or screenplay format. We are looking for the strength in your storytelling ability; there is no preference in format.
- Two siblings who have not spoken to each other in ten years await the start of their father or mother’s funeral.
- A couple whose marriage is on the verge of falling apart gets stuck in the snow bank together without a working mobile phone.
- Three strangers waiting outside a hospital emergency room, meet by chance, and it changes their lives.
Visual Sample-Complete one (1) of the following prompts below:
1. Self-introductory Video Essay
Create a self-introductory video essay between two (2) and five (5) minutes in length. Your video should visually highlight something about yourself, your personality, your interests, etc. The only rule is that you may NOT appear in the video in any way (including any photographs of yourself), so be creative. We are primarily looking for your strengths at conveying a story visually and for evidence of your creativity rather than your technical abilities.
2. Photo Narrative:
In no more than 20 still photographs, tell a story based on this prompt: A character is wandering in a city and encounters a situation that drastically changes his/her life. The photos should be uploaded in the order you wish to convey your story. The submission should be photographs only, and cannot have any writing or descriptions included. We are looking for your ability to tell a visual story without the use of dialogue or description.Narrative Reel (optional)
You may submit an additional narrative piece of work (not short reel clips).
Letters of Recommendation
We also require two(2) letters of recommendations to be submitted through SlideRoom. DO NOT submit letters of recommendation through any other method.
All application and supplemental materials must submitted electronically through Apply Yourself or SlideRoom by the deadline below. Late applicants will be reviewed on a space available basis.
Graduate Deadline:December 1, 2014
*Please note: In order to be considered for a Fellowship you must apply by the December 1st deadline. We do not accept applicants for the spring semester.
Notifications will go out starting in mid-March, and will continue through May.
+-Official Copy of Degree Granting Undergraduate Transcript
You also need to send in an official copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript. This should be mailed to:Office of Graduate Admission
1 University Drive
Orange, CA 92866
Additional documentation is required for international students. Please visit the Office of Admissions for more information.
Questions about applying?
Find answers to questions students frequently ask during the Graduate application process in our Graduate Admissions FAQ.
- Graduate Applications
- Graduate Application Procedure+
- Apply - Documentary Film+
- Apply - Film Studies+
- Apply - Film Production/emphasis Directing+
- Apply - Film Production/Cinematography Emphasis+
- Apply - Film Production/Editing Emphasis+
- Apply - Film Production/Sound Design Emphasis+
- Apply - Film/TV Producing+
- Apply - Production Design+
- Apply - Screenwriting+
- Apply - Joint MBA/MFA Film & TV Producing+
- Apply – JD/MFA Film/TV Producing+
- Tuition, Aid & Fellowships+
- Graduate Admission FAQs+