Students who wish to complete the University Honors Program, which culminates with a capstone senior seminar, must fulfill the requirements listed below.
Honors students who start the program in Fall 2018 and after must:
- Complete 8 Honors courses for a minimum of 24 credits.*
- Select 6 classes from a variety of courses. Must take 1 course from each of the 3 main categories: Human Sciences, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences.
- Take the Honors Forum their 1st year as an Honors student.
- Take the Honors Capstone Seminar in their senior year
Honors students who entered the program prior to Fall 2018 must:
- Complete 9 Honors courses for a minimum of 25 credits.*
- Select 7 classes from a variety of courses. Must take 1 course from each of the 3 main categories: Human Sciences, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences.
- Take the 1-credit Honors Forum their 1st year as an Honors student.
- Take the Honors Capstone Seminar.
* Transfer students with 60 units or more prior to matriculation are required to complete 4 Honors courses (at least 1 course from each category), the 1-credit Honors forum their 1st year as an Honors student and the Honors Capstone seminar. Nine credits, other than the capstone seminar, must be at the 300 level or above.
To remain in the program, Honors students are expected to hold a 3.3 GPA by the end of their sophomore year and maintain it through their senior year. If a student's GPA drops below 3.3, the student is on probation, with the expectation that the GPA will return to the required level by the end of next semester. The student should also consult with the director during this period.
Below are the syllabi for all of Chapman's Honors courses in PDF format. Some courses may fall into multiple categories. Course descriptions may be found in the Chapman catalog.
* Courses under multiple main categories can only be assigned to one category.
Total Credits: minimum of 25 for students who entered the program prior to Fall 2018;
minimum of 24 for students who entered the program in Fall 2018 or later.