» Risk Management
+ - Understanding Risk Management
The practice of risk management and the job of the Risk Manager are to help protect the University both internally and externally from things that threaten its integrity. That includes the property, the assets, and the people. The Risk Manager applies the risk management model of risk identification, assessment, measurement, mitigation and monitoring.
+ - Our Mission
The mission of the Chapman University Risk Management Department is to create a risk management culture throughout the University, providing resources that engage and empower community members in their quest to meet and exceed their educational goals and objectives of preeminence. This includes the operation of a comprehensive risk management program that contributes to the health, safety and protection of employees, students and visitors, while also protecting the University's physical and financial resources.
Our goal is to minimize the adverse effects of unpredictable events. Toward this end, we utilize a number of processes and tools that include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a resource and provide consultation to University administrators and faculty on matters related to insurance and loss prevention.
- Serve as a resource and clearinghouse and provide consultation to student groups on risks associated with clubs, activities, and special events.
- Serve as a central portal that organizes and maintains a database on incidents, accidents and other loss-related events that impact or potentially impact University resources.
- Develop programs for loss prevention and environmental health and safety consistent with the needs of the University.
- Coordinate one or more safety committees and an ongoing program of risk management and safety in-service education and training for University personnel.
- Support the Public Safety Department in maintaining sufficient and appropriate plans and resources necessary to assure a successful program of disaster preparedness and business continuity.
- Procure and maintain appropriate and competitively priced policies of insurance as needed to complement a well integrated risk management and insurance program for the University.
- Review insurance language in vendor and supplier contracts to control transfer of risk in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Review and approve Certificates of Insurance for vendors and facility users and maintain current database of insurance information.
- Maintain current values for buildings, contents, and moveable property.
- Respond to all property, liability and other casualty losses, initiating investigations and accomplishing the appropriate resolution of all claims.
- Work with Chapman University Public Safety to authorize and maintain a database of approved drivers.
- Manage special insurance programs including surety bonding, equipment maintenance insurance, and programs to protect employees on special grants and programs.
- Support the work of the Chapman University Public Safety Department as relates to employee, student, and visitor safety and security.
- Support the risk management needs of the Chapman University Office of Information Systems & Technology in protecting the hardware, software, and information that are essential to the operations of the University.
- Support the Chapman University Human Resources Department in the development and administration of an effective Injury and Illness Prevention (IIP) Program and workers’ compensation insurance program for employees.
- Other duties that contribute to the safety and security of University resources.
+ - Contact Us / Our Staff
Allan Brooks, Director, Risk Management
Karen Swift, Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Pedro Villarreal, Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
Lab Safety Administrator – RHSC
9404 Jeronimo – Office 118
Allan F. Brooks oversees the Chapman University Risk Management Department and serves as University Risk Manager. Mr. Brooks is an established industry professional, with over 25 years of risk management and insurance experience. He holds a Master’s degree from East Carolina University, Greenville, NC and key industry credentials including the Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Associate in Underwriting (AU), Associate in Reinsurance (ARe), and Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriter (CPCU). Mr. Brooks is a peer in the academic environment, with over 15 years of teaching experience at the college level.
Mr. Brooks is the primary contact for all general matters in the area of Risk Management and Insurance. He is responsible for identifying and evaluating risks associated with campus activities and recommending the best risk management techniques and practices to address and mitigate issues of risk and liability, as well as ensuring implementation of appropriate risk controls. He works with the entire campus community to develop resource documents and training programs regarding risk exposure and its mitigation. He is also involved in monitoring insured and uninsured losses, placing and managing insurance coverage’s and premiums, liability claims handling, loss prevention/control program development, and allocation of risk exposures.
Karen Swift, our Environmental Health & Safety Manager is a key member of our Risk Management team. With separate baccalaureate degrees from the University of California-Irvine (UCI) in Biological Sciences and Social Ecology, Karen brings to Chapman over 20 years of experience dealing with a broad range of issues in Environmental Health & Safety. Prior to joining Chapman University, Karen served as senior technical department resource/consultant to the UCI campus and Medical Center. Her work included the areas of Academics, Design & Construction, Environmental Health & Safety, Environmental Planning, Facilities Management, Housing, Police and Student Services Units on projects and issues concerning Environmental Compliance, Regulatory Compliance, and Occupational Health & Safety.
As Environmental Health & Safety Manager for Chapman University, Karen develops, implements and maintains Chapman’s policies adhering to local, state and federal environmental, health and safety regulations. She is involved in the design and development of facilities, work areas and work procedures and makes environmental, health and safety recommendations accordingly. Karen is responsible for preparing, maintaining, and updating environmental policy and procedure manuals and ensuring compliance with all environmental, health and safety regulations that impact the University.
Pedro Villarreal is an Environmental Health & Safety Specialist and a key member of our Risk Management team. Pedro has a Bachelor’s Degree in Safety Management. Prior to joining Chapman, he worked as a Safety Specialist with Uniform Services University of the Health Sciences.
Over the years Pedro has successfully completed annual safety audits of over 500 spaces to identify deficiencies and develop corrective measures to control or eliminate associated high-risk hazards. Faculty and staff in science labs, arts studios and other production facilities on the Orange Campus will have an opportunity to work with Pedro as he conducts inspections throughout the campus.
Pedro will conduct accident investigations and report on his findings with recommendations to correct any unsafe acts or conditions causing personnel injury and/or property damage. Employees who require assistance in accident investigation and the implementation of strategies to help prevent future occurrences of a similar nature will have an opportunity to collaborate with Pedro. Pedro will also be the key liaison for most of our non-science related safety committees, coordinating the scheduling of these meetings, maintaining meeting records, and providing support as needed to assure necessary follow-up on recommendations of the Committee.
- Risk Management
- Accident & Incident Reporting
- Minors on Campus
- Other Resources
- Student Activities
- Travel & Transportation
- Waiver Agreements
Environmental Health & Safety
Risk / EH&S News and Events
Zika virus is spread to people through mosquito bites. The CDC has issued travel notices for people traveling to regions and certain countries where Zika virus transmissions is ongoing. If you are traveling internationally, the key areas impacted right now are identified by the CDC.
Please use the link below to navigate to timely notices and alerts for this and other Risk Management and EH&S News.