NOTE: Please read carefully all the information below, as it has been updated according to the Chapman University policy for the academic year 2015-2016.
The purpose of the Mathematics Placement Tests is to make sure that incoming freshman and transfer students are prepared to take a Quantitative Inquiry Mathematics or Computer Science course at Chapman University. Our Math/CS advisors will consider your previous mathematics courses in helping you choose the right course. If you have already attended but did not pass an Intermediate Algebra (Math 098 or 099) or a Pre-Calculus (Math 104) course at Chapman University, you are not permitted to take these Placement Tests to pass the course.
- Students who score at least 640 on the Quantitative portion of the SAT, or who score at least 28 on the Mathematics portion of the ACT, may enroll directly in a Quantitative Inquiry Mathematics or Computer Science course (CPSC 230, MATH 109, MATH 110, MATH 203, MATH 208, MATH 250 or MATH 260).
- Students who get a score of 3 on the Advanced Placement Calculus AB Exam may enroll in MATH 109 or MATH 110 without having to take the MATH 104 prerequisite.
- Students who get a score of 3 on the Advanced Placement Statistics Exam may enroll in MATH 203 without having to take the MATH 104 prerequisite.
- Students who get a score of 3 on the Advanced Placement Computer Science Exam may enroll in CPSC 230 without having to take the MATH 104 prerequisite.
- Students who score at least 540 on the Quantitative portion of the SAT, or who score at least 23 on the Mathematics portion of the ACT may enroll in MATH 104 or any Quantitative Inquiry course that list “MATH 099 or equivalent” as prerequisites without having to take MATH 098 or MATH 099.
All other students are required to take a Mathematics Placement test.
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Andrew Moshier, email@example.com, Head of the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Computation.
We offer two online tests: one to place into MATH 099: Intermediate Algebra or MATH 104: Precalculus; the other to waive MATH 104, a prerequisite course for some Mathematics and Computer Science courses. Students who do not qualify to enroll in a Quantitative Inquiry Mathematics or Computer Science course and who do not take a Mathematics Placement Test will be placed into MATH 098: Elementary Algebra.
Any student who scored below a 540 on the SAT/Math or below 23 on the ACT/Math is REQUIRED to take the Algebra Placement Test by July 9th.
A HOLD will be placed on your record and you will not be able to register for classes until you have taken the appropriate Placement Test.
Contact Dr. Andrew Moshier, firstname.lastname@example.org, with a brief description of your mathematics background, if you believe you should be placed directly in a higher level Math/CS course.