The Promising Futures Mentoring Program was piloted during the 2011-2012 year for the first time to get current first-generation students connected to a faculty/staff mentor that they could use as a source of support especially for our freshman first-generation college students in transitioning in to Chapman University and navigating their way through the higher education system. In the 2011-2012 academic year, 45 students were matched with mentors and look forward to continuing this program in the future. Some of the feedback we have received from students about their experiences is:
- I feel more confident that I can actually make it through college
- My mentor makes me feel very comfortable and she's always providing me with guidance and advice and I know I have someone to listen to my problems and help me utilize the resources at Chapman
- It is so nice to have someone on campus to be a supporter and friend to me. My mentor was really interested in getting to know me and I appreciated that.
- It is a great idea to give us, first generation students, mentors. I love having the connections and resources to further aid my college career since I cannot depend on my parents for that.
Mentors have also benefited from this experience as well:
- I’ve benefited by having an opportunity to further develop my coaching/counseling skills and developing a personal connection with a new student I might otherwise not have met
- It is extremely gratifying to be able to help, to give, and to learn about the successes of a student who has the desire and talent to succeed
- It’s helped me to consider what some of the other students I work with may be going through as well, and helped me to be a better resource as I have worked with her to find the resources she needs at the moment
Here are some pictures of mentor/mentee pairs from last year:
Mentee Lisette Martinez with Mentor Dr. Cris Giannantonio Mentor Leti Wyatt with Mentee Alyssa Caban
Mentor Vanessa Rosella with Mentee Angelica Lepe Mentee Derrick Ortega with Mentor Dr. Jan Osborn