» Resources for Undergraduate Students

Getting started

A good way to get started is to email us to discuss a personalized action plan. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity.
You can also look for opportunities in your department, talk with your professors and explore the links below.

Faculty profiles

  • Interested in doing research but don’t know how to start finding a faculty member?  Search this website to find Chapman tenured and tenure track faculty's recent research, creative work, publications, and biographical information. You may search by last name, a keyword in their biography, or by school or department for a listing.
  • Use the Faculty profile search engine 

Research Opportunities and Achievements at Chapman University

Student - Faculty Independent Research and/or Creative Activity 291/491/682

Student-Faculty Independent Research and/or Creative Activity is available to undergraduate and graduate matriculated students only. It allows students to make an original contribution to scholarship in the discipline/creative area. Projects under 291/491/682 are normally extracurricular, meaning outside of a degree or minor program’s curriculum and requirements and outside of standard course structure, an enhancement to traditional learning formats. Student-Faculty Independent Research and/or Creative Activity is not intended to replace a capstone in the major or to supply coverage for a gap in the curriculum/degree program. (Previously approved capstones with a restricted research option are the exception.)


Students must complete Weekly Progress Reports and fulfill all the required number of hours of research (5 individual student/faculty contact hours and 45 research hours per credit, per semester). Failure to do so will result in a grade of "NP", "Incomplete", or "F". Students must present their research at the end of the semester in a format determined by the faculty mentor.

Grading Options

Pass/No Pass is the preferred grading option. If student opts for a grade, faculty must include a grading rubric as part of the contract.

Registration Instructions

1. Meet with your faculty mentor to complete this form and to discuss and prepare a contract. The contract must include selection of one of the three ways to make an original contribution to scholarship:

  1. Work directly with a faculty member on his/her independent scholarly research/creative project(s)
  2. Pursue independent scholarly research and/or scholarly creative activity under faculty guidance
  3. Participate as part of a faculty-led research/creative team

2. The contract must include (1) a brief description of the project, (2) course learning outcomes, (3) summary of key research/creative tasks and objectives, (4) anticipated dates of completion, (5) format of the end-of-semester presentation summarizing research conducted (deliverables), and (6) list of the planned frequency/duration of student-faculty meetings.

Undergraduate students enroll in 291 or 491. Graduate students enroll in 682. The student or faculty mentor submits this completed form and contract approved by the Chair/Associate Dean to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity (OURCA) by their published deadline. The OURCA will review the proposed research, notify faculty and student of approval, and will submit approved projects to the Office of the Registrar for enrollment.

Registration Deadlines

For 291, 491, 682 registrations are strongly encouraged to be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity during early registration. Deadline is last day to add courses for term based on the academic calendar.



Poster Presentations
Here's how to prepare your poster presentation at WebGURU and advice from the Southern California Conference on Undergraduate Research.

Need more guidance ... check out our sample poster template.

Graduate School

The Council on Undergraduate Research hosts a Registry of Undergraduate Researchers. The purpose of this registry is to facilitate matchmaking between undergraduates who have research experience and a desire to pursue an advanced degree, with graduate schools seeking high quality students who are well prepared for research. 

The Registry is open to students and graduate schools in the fields of Anthropology/Archaeology, Arts/Humanities, Biology/Biochemistry, Business, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Economics, Education, Engineering, English and Linguistics, Environmental Studies, Geosciences, Health Professions, History, Journalism and Communications, Mathematics/Computer Science, Physics/ Astronomy, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work and Sociology.

Any undergraduate may go to to fill out a simple information form. Students may also elect to complete a longer curriculum vitae form. There is no charge to the student and records will be made available only to bona fide Graduate Schools that contract with CUR for this service.  CUR believes that this service will be a great benefit for both students and graduate schools by narrowing the search for the right match. So if you are interested in graduate school, please take a moment to register now. Be sure to include a statement of your research interests, as this will be important for making the match.  Questions?  Contact Robin Howard at

  • Featured
  • News
  • Events