Monday, June 26, 2017 - Friday, June 30, 2017
Application The application link is now open. Deadline for students to submit applications and for teachers to submit teacher recommendation forms is Friday, April 7th 5:00pm PST.
The International Foundation for Research in Experimental Economics (IFREE) has generously sponsored summer workshops for visiting graduate students, undergraduates and local high school students since its incorporation in 1997. Recently, the Thomas W. Smith Foundation joined IFREE in sponsoring the high school student workshops.
These workshops introduce students to Experimental Economics, attract potential economics majors and identify promising individuals for internships and pre- and post-doctoral fellowships.
June 26-30, 2017 ESI will host one week-long IFREE and Thomas W. Smith Foundation sponsored workshop on experimental economics for rising junior and senior students. For those rising seniors who might not have the opportunity to study economics in their high schools, the objective of these workshops is to expose them to and get them interested in the foundations of economic analysis using experimental economics. A subset of the students may have already taken economics classes, and for those students, the goal is to cultivate their interest in economics and introduce them to economics as an observational science with new topics, problems, and experiments. This workshop does not assume any previous study in economics.
Please note, the 2017 workshop will be an all commuter program. Students that are able to commute to and from the workshop are welcome to apply. Students are responsible for their transportation commuting to and from the workshop each day.
Out of state students can apply to the program if the students arrange their own lodging/accommodations and transportation.
Important notice: In addition to applying, a completed Teacher Recommendation Form is required and will also be due by the deadline. The form is available below and will also populate upon submission of the application. Please have your teacher mail, email or fax it to Cyndi Dumas, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute, One University Drive, Orange, CA 92866, email@example.com, Fax: (714) 628-2881 (Fax must be accompanied by coversheet with school letterhead).
Please contact Cyndi Dumas (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
Quotes from Past Fellows:
- “I earned and I learned!”
- “It was a wonderful relief from the normal, everyday approach to learning and teaching.”
- “It was a hands-on way to let us apply what we learned and with great incentives.”
- “Learned a lot about economics in the real world, and we got to meet new people.”
- “Very fun and interesting and you actually retain the information."
- “The way the workshop is taught you actually remember the topics you learn.”
- “I enjoyed myself a great deal and learned something at the same time, which is sadly fairly unusual.”
- “Economics is considered as ‘dismal science,’ but the experiments make it fascinating!”