Dr. Walter H. Piper
- Office Location:
- Hashinger Science Center 312
- (714) 997-6907
- Harvard University, Bachelor of Arts
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Ph.D. in Biology
- BIOL 204 From Molecules to Cells: Evolution of Life on Earth
- BIOL 205 Evolution and Diversity of Multicellular Organisms
- BIOL 224 Ecology and Evolution
- BIOL 333 Animal Behavior
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Ph.D. in Biology
- Harvard University, B.A. in Biology
- Territory Acquisition and Defense in the Common Loon of Wisconsin
- Population Ecology of Naturalized Parrots of Orange County
- National Geographic Society
- Disney Conservation Fund
- Chapman University Creative/Scholarly Grants
- National Science Foundation
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Recent Creative, Scholarly Work and Publications
Jukkula, G. and Piper, W. H. 2015. Common loon parents defend chicks according to both value and vulnerability. Journal of Avian Biology.
Piper, W. H., Mager, J. N., Walcott, C., Furey, L. Banfield, N, Reinke, A., Spilker, F. & J. A. Flory. 2015. Territory settlement in common loons: no footholds but age and assessment are important. Animal Behavior.
Piper, W., Mager, J. and Walcott, C. 2013 Marking loons. In: Exploring Animal Behavior, 6th edition. Sherman, P. W. and Alcock, J., eds. Sinauer Associates, Inc. Sunderland, Massachusetts. USA.
Piper, W. H., Palmer, M. W., Banfield, N., Meyer, M. W. 2013. Can settlement in natal-like habitat explain maladaptive habitat selection? Proc. Royal Soc. B.
Piper, W. H. Grear, J. S. and Meyer, M. W. 2012. Juvenile survival in common loons: Effects of natal lake size and pH. J. Avian Biol. 43: 280-288.
Piper, W. H., J. N. Mager, & C. Walcott. 2011. Marking loons, making progress. American Scientist 99: 220-227.
Piper, W. 2011. Making habitat selection more “familiar”: a review. Behavioral Ecol. Sociobiol. 65:1329-1351.
Mager, J. N., Walcott, C. and Piper, W. H. 2010. Common loons (Gavia immer) can differentiate between yodels of territorial neighbors and non-neighbors. J. Field Ornithol., 81: 392-401.
Piper, W. H. 2010/2011. Troubled Waters: Loons’ territorial fights are no laughing matter. Natural History, 119: 22-26.
Grear, J. S., Meyer, M. W., Cooley Jr., J. H., Kuhn, A., Piper, W. H., Mitro, M. G., Vogel, H. S., Taylor, K. M., Kenow, K. P., Craig, S. M., Nacci, D. E. 2009. Population Growth and Demography of Common Loons in the Northern United States. Journal of Wildlife Management 73: 1108-1115.