Dr. Veronique A. Olivier-Wallis
Assistant Professor, Instructional Faculty
- Office Location:
- DeMille Hall 116
- (714) 628-2712
- Freshman Foundations Program
- The University of Georgia, Bachelor of Arts
University of Wisconsin - Madison, Master of Arts
University of Wisconsin - Madison, Ph.D. in French
- Video Profile
- Dr. Véronique Olivier is an assistant professor of French in the Department of Languages. In 2003, she earned her Ph.D. in French Literature at the University of Wisconsin, in Madison, with a minor in film Studies. She teaches a variety of courses on literature, language, film and theater. Her academic interets include: women studies (Simone de Beauvoir, food and existentialism), pedagogy and film. Her newest course is The Remake: From French Cinema to Hollywood.Prof. Olivier is a huge cinephile: (she can quote everything from Francois Truffaut's film's!) and she believes in the power of visual arts in teaching. She also manages the French Club's monthly 'Cine'-Club on campus. Thanks to a grant from the French and American Cultural Exchange (FACE) and another one from Chapman University, Prof. Olivier organizes the Chapman French Film Festival each spring.
In Addition, Prof. Olivier has directed a few multi-media plays entirely in French on campus.
Courses taught at Chapman:
- FR201 - Intermediate French Language
- FR 340 - Cuisine in French Literature and Film
- FR 345 - French Conversation
- FR 360 - Performance in French
- FR 378 - French Enlightenment
- FR 386 - French Women of Letters and Leaders
- FR 387 - The Remake: From French Film to Hollywood
- Recent Creative, Scholarly Work and Publications
Une Gourmandise: Entre mots, mets, et Ecriture Féminine. The French Review, 2013, vol. 24.7 (to be published in october 2013).
I created a French Performance play in collaboration with a student of mine who was the recipient of an Undergraduate Grant (OUR) for $750. This play involved the students of Chapman but also, a collaboration with the students of Villa Park High School. The play was filmed and available upon request.
SImone de Beauvoir. Nourriture, Cuisine et Existentialisme. Simone de Beauvoir Studies, 2102, Vol 38.
Begaudeau, François. La Blessure, la Vrai. Book Review. Published in The French Review, 2012, Vol 24.2
"SMS: Sortez vos telephones portables: Using cellphones in the Classroom". The French Review, December, 2010, Vol 84.2