Dr. Sheila Steinberg
- Office Location:
- Smith Hall 20D (basement)
- Office Hours:
- T 3:00pm – 4:00pm T 7:00pm – 8:00pm and by appointment
Dr. Steinberg is a visiting Professor of Sociology at Chapman University and Director of Community Research for the California Center for Rural Policy. Steinberg taught and conducted research at Humboldt State University for 11 years. She completed her bachelor's degree at the University of California, Santa Barbara; her master's at the University of California, Berkeley; and her doctorate at The Pennsylvania State University.
Her research interests include community, sociospatial research, applied sociology, research methods, health inequalities, ethnic communities, poverty, policy and environmental sociology. She has conducted field research in Nepal, Guatemala, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and California.
The theme throughout this research has been the examination of people and their relationship to space and place. Recently, she has co-authored a chapter on this topic entitled "Geospatial Analysis Technology and Social Science Research." in the Handbook of Emergent Technologies, Sharlene Hesse-Biber, Editor, Oxford University Press 2011. Another recent publication is a book chapter entitled, "Global Women Superheroes: Place, Space and Action," in Chapter in: Women's Encounter with Globalization. Samir Dasgupta, R. Driskell, N. Yeates and Y. Braun (Eds.), London: Front Page Publishers 2010.
In 2006, Dr. Steinberg co-authored a book for Sage Publications entitled, GIS for the Social Sciences: Investigating Space and Place. Her research examines the intersection of community, people, place and the environment through a policy lens. In 2011, she joined Chapman University where she now teaches courses on research methods and human interactions with the physical environment at the local, regional and global levels.
Areas of Interest
Community, Sociospatial Research (GIS), Research Methods, Policy, Applied Sociology, Ethnic Communities, Environmental Sociology, Globalization, Poverty, Immigration.
Books and Book Chapters
- Steinberg, S.J. and S.L. Steinberg, 2011. Geospatial Analysis Technology and Social Science Research, in: Handbook of Emergent Technologies, Sharlene Hesse-Biber, Editor, Oxford University Press, ISBN: 9780195373592.
- Steinberg, S.L. and S.J.Steinberg, 2010. Global Women Superheroes: Place, Space and Action, in: Women's Encounter with Globalization. Dasgupta S., R. Driskell, N. Yeates and Y. Braun, Editors. Frontpage, London, UK. ISBN: 9788190884181.
- Steinberg, S.L. and S.J.Steinberg, 2009. A Sociospatial Approach to Globalization: Mapping Ecologies of Inequality, in: Understanding the Global Environment, pp 99-117. Samir Dasgupta, Editor. Pearson Longman, Delhi, India. ISBN: 9788131717028.
- Steinberg, S.J. and S.L. Steinberg, 2006. Geographic Information Systems for the Social Sciences: Investigating Space and PlaceSAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA. ISBN: 0761928731
Publications and Reports
- S.J. Steinberg, S.L. Steinberg and S.M. Keeble. 2010. "Using PPGIS to Study Rural Ethnic Entrepreneurship." CSU Geospatial Review: Geographic Information Science in the California State University System. Vol. 8 Spring 2010. P. 5.
- Steinberg, S.L., S.J. Steinberg, E.Eschker, S.M. Keeble, and J.M. Barnes. 2010. Rural Ethnic Entrepreneurship: A Spatial Networks Approach to Community Development. California Center for Rural Policy and Institute for Spatial Analysis, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
- Stubblefield, D., S.L. Steinberg, A. Ybarra A. Ollar and C. Stewart. 2010. Humboldt County Food Assessment. California Center for Rural Policy, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
- Steinberg, S.L., Zalarvis-Chase, Strong, M. and N. Yandell. 2008. California Center for Rural Policy McLean Community Study Final Report. Report for the McLean Foundation. Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
- S.L. Steinberg, Marian Strong, Nanette Yandell and Adriana Guzman 2008. Rural Latino Project Final Report.
- Steinberg, S.J. and S.L. Steinberg, 2008. People, Place and Health: A Sociospatial Perspective of Agricultural Workers and their Environment.
- Steinberg, S.J. and S.L. Steinberg, 2008. People, Place and Health: A Pesticide Atlas of Monterey County and Tulare County, California.
[Note: File size ~30MB, recommended for broadband connections only]
- S.L. Steinberg and L. Thompson, 2004. Successful Entrepreneurship, Humboldt County.
- S.L. Steinberg and R.M. Codding, 2004. Altruism and Forgiveness at Humboldt State University: A Survey of Student Attitudes and Actions.
- S.L. Steinberg and K. Brinton, 2003. Santa Rita, New Mexico Community Report.
- S.L. Steinberg, K. Brinton and S. Riffel, 2002. Ferndale, California Community Report.
- S.L. Steinberg, K. Brinton and S. Riffel, 2002. Loleta, California Community Report.
- S.L. Steinberg, K. Brinton and S. Riffel, 2002. Rio Dell, California Community Report.
- Flores, Angel and S.L. Steinberg. Latino/a Spatial Food Security: A Santa Ana CA Case Study. Poster accepted for presentation at the annual California GIS Conference 2013. Pathways to California's Future. April 15 2013. Long Beach, CA.
- S.L. Steinberg 2013. Spatial Science for Interdisciplinary Curriculums. Paper accepted for presentation at the annual California GIS Conference. Long Beach, CA.
- Steinberg, S.L. 2013.A Sociospatial Approach to Dust Transport : Engaging with Communities. Paper presented at the annual American Meteorological Conference on Environment and Health. January 6-9 Austin, TX.
- Steinberg, S.L. 2012. Sociospatial Research for Community Engagement. Presented at the annual Rural Sociological Society annual meeting. July 26-30, 2012. Chicago, Il.
- Steinberg, S.L. 2012. Research and Statistics-Multi-Method Research for the Social Sciences. Presented at the annual American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences. Las Vegas, NV.
- Steinberg, S.L. 2012. Research and Statistics- Sociospatial Research for Community Action. Presented at the annual American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences. Las Vegas, NV.
- Steinberg, S.J., J. M. Barnes, and S.L. Steinberg. 2011. A spatial analysis of rural entrepreneurial success. Presented at the annual American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, May 1-5, Milwaukee, WI.
- Recent Creative, Scholarly Work and Publications
In Fall 2011, worked with Sociology student Megan Donovan to conduct a departmental needs assessment entitled, Sociology Departmental Assessment. Report was submitted on behalf of the department to the Office of Assessment at Chapman University. Project involved interviewing all departmental faculty and collecting data on publications, service and community involvement.