Dr. Mark R. Axelrod
- Office Location:
- Wilkinson Hall 226
- Office Hours:
- M/W 10 am.-1 p.m. and by appt.
- (714) 997-6586
- Indiana University Bloomington, Bachelor of Arts
Indiana University Bloomington, Master of Arts
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, Ph.D. in Literature
Mark Axelrod is a graduate of both Indiana University and the University of Minnesota. He has been the Director of the John Fowles Center for Creative Writing for which he has received five National Endowment for the Arts Grants. He has received numerous writing awards including two United Kingdom Leverhulme Fellowships for Creative Writing as well as screenwriting awards from the Sundance Institute, the WGA East, and the Nicholl Fellowship. He recently received awards from the Irvine International Film Festival, the Chicago International Film Festival and the Illinois International Film Festival for his screenplays.
He has published four novels, Capital Castles (Pacific Writers Press), Cloud Castles (Pacific Writers Press), Cardboard Castles (Pacific Writers Press), Bombay California (Pacific Writers Press), and has recently completed a novel in three books titled, The Posthumous Memoirs of Blase Kubash. He has also written several collections of short stories, including Dante's Foil & Other Sporting Tales, (Black Scat Press), Borges' Travel, Hemingway's Garage (Fiction Collective 2) which was translated into Spanish.
He has published four books on screenwriting, Aspects of the Screenplay (Heinemann), Character & Conflict: Cornerstones of Screenwriting (Heinemann), , I Read It At The Movies (Heinemann) and his latest book, Constructing Dialogue (Bloomsbury). He is a regular reviewer for The Review of Contemporary Fiction, the Times Literary Supplement, and has a blog on the HuffingtonPost. He has been published in numerous journals in the United States and Europe, including the Iowa Review and the New York Quarterly and his collected works run to 125 volumes.
He is the recipient of two Fulbright Awards which have enabled him to teach in Brazil and Sweden.
Selected Book Publications
- Dante’s Foil & Other Sporting Tales (short stories) Black Scat Publishing (2015)
- Golden Hancuffs Review, Fall 2014; Vol. 1, No. 19
- No Symbols Where None Intended: Literary Essays from Laclos to Beckett (Literary essays), Palgrave Macmillan (2014)
- Waiting for Godeau (translation of Balzac’s, Mercadet), Black Scat Publishing (2013)
- NEXT THING: ART IN THE 21ST CENTURY—Ed. Pablo Baler, Farleigh Dickinson University, Contributor (2013)
- CONSTRUCTING DIALOGUE: FROM CITIZEN KANE TO MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, Continuum Press, New York (2013)
- Borges' Viajes Hemingway's Talleres (short stories), Editorial Thule, Barcelona, Spain (2009).
- I Read it at the Movies (screenwriting/adaptation) Heinemann Publishing (2006).
Selected Film Work
- “Stayin Alive” Original Screenplay, Cuckoo Clock Productions, Hamburg, Germany
- “Fool’s Sanctuary” Adaptation of the novel by Jennifer Johnston, Kettledrum Productions, Los Angeles
- Recent Creative, Scholarly Work and Publications
NOTIONS OF THE FEMININE, Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
BIG THOUGHTS ARE FREE: MILAN PANIC:THE LITTLE IMMIGRANT FROM SERBIA, Authorized Biography, Peter Lang Publishing, New York.
MALARKEY Original Screenplay
LITERATURE TODAY VOL. 3, Jun 20
BLACK SCAT REVIEW #11, San Francisco, CA.
TWO THIRDS NORTH, Cinnamon Press, University of Stockholm, Stockholm SW
CONTRIBUTOR, HUFFINGTON POST 2009-Present
NO SYMBOLS WHERE NONE INTENDED, Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
WAITING FOR GODEAU, Translation of Balzac's MERCADET, Black Scat Press, San Francisco.
CONSTRUCTING DIALOGUE, Screenwriting text, Continuum Publishing
FOOL'S SANCTUARY, Screenplay treatment, Kettledrum Productions, Los Angeles
GOLDEN HANDCUFFS REVIEW Winter–Fall, 2014; vol. 1, no. 19
BLACK SCAT REVIEW #9, San Francisco, CA.
STOCKHOLM REVIEW OF LITERATURE, http://thestockholmreview.org/ (September, 2014)
JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL FICTION, JEF Books, Geneva, Illinois