Dr. Julye Bidmead
- WH 234
- Office Hours:
- MWF 12:00-1:00pm
- (714) 532-7709
- Freshman Foundations Program, University Honors Program
- California State University, Eastbay, Bachelor of Arts
Vanderbilt University, Master of Arts
Vanderbilt University, Ph.D.
Julye Bidmead (Ph.D., Vanderbilt University) is Assistant Professor of Religious Studies. She is the author of The Akitu Festival: Religious Continuity and Royal Legitimation in Mesopotamia (Gorgias Press, 2002) . Dr. Bidmead has been on the staff of numerous archaeological excavations in Israel, including the Megiddo Expedition. She teaches courses in Hebrew Bible, biblical archaeology, and gender studies.
Dr. Bidmead teaches courses on Hebrew Bible, biblical archaeology, Gender studies in Religious Studies and the Honors ProgramEducation
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, Ph.D. (Religion), 2002
- Dissertation: The Akitu Festival: Religious Continuity and Royal legitimation in Mesopotamia.
- Vanderbilt University, Tel Aviv, Nashville, TN, M.A. (Religion), 1997
- Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel, (Graduate courses in Biblical Archaeology), 1996
- Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, CA (Graduate courses in Hebrew Bible), 1992-1994
- University of California, Berkeley, CA (Graduate courses in Near Eastern Studies), 1992-1994
- California State University, Hayward, CA, B.A. (Philosophy/Religious Studies, Magna cum Laude), 1991
- Chapman University, Orange Ca, Assistant Professor, Department of Religious Studies, 2007-present
- Miami University, Oxford, OH, Assistant Professor of Ancient Near Eastern Religions, Department of Comparative Religion/Jewish Studies, 2004-2007
- Moravian Theological Seminary, Bethlehem, PA, Adjunct Faculty, 2001-2004
- James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA, Visiting Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies, Department of Philosophy and religion, 2003-2004
- California State University, Fresno, CA, Visiting Lecturer, Religious Studies, Department of Philosophy and Religion, 2001-2003; Smittcamp Honors College Faculty, Spring 2003; Extended Education Faculty, Spring 2003
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, Graduate Student Instructor, 1997-1998, Teaching Assistant, 1996-1997
- Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN, Bibliographer and Collection Development, 1996-1999
Areas of Teaching Competence:
- Primary: Hebrew Bible, Ancient Near Eastern Religions, Biblical Archaeology, Theory of Religion
- Secondary: Women and Gender in Religion, Myth and Ritual, Judaism
- "Shrine," "Rosh Ha-Shanah," "Fable" in New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. Katherine Dobb Sakenfield, Samuel Balentine, eds. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press, 2009.
- Lahav Research Project/Tel Halif, Field Reports, 2007 Season. Emory University, 2008.
- "Syro-Palestinian Archaeology." in Eerdmans Biblical Commentary, John Rogerson and James D. G. Dunn, eds. Grand Rapids, MI: Eardmans Publishing, 2004.
- "New Year's Celebrations." in Encyclopedia of Religious Rites, Rituals, and Festivals, Frank Salamone, ed. Religion and Society 6. Great Barrington, M.A: Bershire/Routledge Press, 2004.
- "New Year", "Wizard/Medium","Ishtar","Assur (Deity)", "Nisroch","Lot Casting in the Bible" in Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible, David Noel Freedman and Allen C. Myers, eds. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans Publishing, 2000.
- "Pedagogy and Archaeology: How Students 'Dig' the Web." Shofar: An interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies 17/4 Summer 1999.
- American Academy of Religion
- American Institute of Archaeology
- Society of Biblical Literature
Archaeological Experience and Fieldwork:
- Megiddo Expedition, Israel (Tel Aviv University), Senior Staff, 1996-Present
- Tel Halif/Lahav Research Project IV, Senior Staff, 2006-2007
- Megiddo Survey, Northern Jezreel Valley, Israel, 1999
- Tel el-Farah (S) Expedition Israel (Ben Gurion and Claremont University), 1999
- Tel Rehov Excavation, Israel (Hebrew University, Jerusalem), 1997
- American Schools of Oriental Research, Outreach Program Archaeologist (online resource), 1999-present
- Recent Creative, Scholarly Work and Publications
“Seasons of Life: Ritual and Renewal in Ancient Mesopotamia.” Das Bild der Jahreszeiten im Wandel der Kulturen und Zeiten. Thierry Greub, ed. Munich/Paderborn: Germany, Wilhem Fink Verlag, 2013. Pgs. 57-73.
“Area K: Levels K-8 and K-7." in Megiddo V: 2004-2008 Seasons, Israel Finkelstein, David Ushisskin, and Eric Cline, eds. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2013.
“Textile Production in Ancient Israel,” in Megiddo V: 2004-2008 Seasons, Israel Finkelstein, David Ushisskin, and Eric Cline, eds. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2013.
Review of “On Biblical Jerusalem, Megiddo, Jezreel and Lachish.” By David Ushisskin. Religious Studies Review 38, 2 (June 2012): 91