Dr. Jeff Tollaksen
Professor, Director, Center of Excellence in Quantum Studies
- Hashinger Science Center 223
- (714) 289-2042
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Bachelor of Science in Physics
Boston University, Master of Arts in Physics
Boston University, Ph.D. in Physics
- I. PROFESSIONAL PREPARATION
- 1987 B.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (physics)
- 1994 M.A. Boston University (theoretical physics)
- 2002 Ph.D. Boston University (theoretical physics); Advisor: Yakir Aharonov; title: "Quantum reality and non-local aspects of time"
II. APPOINTMENTS AND WORK EXPERIENCE
8/2008-Present Associate Professor and Founding Chair, Department of Physics, Computational Science and Engineering, Chapman University
2006-8/2008 Founder and Director, Center for Quantum Studies, George Mason University
2006-8/2008 Assistant Professor, College of Science, George Mason University
2004-2006 Assistant Professor, School of Computational Sciences, George Mason University
2003-2004 Research Assistant Professor, School of Computational Sciences, George Mason University
III. RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
a. Five grants for which I am the Principal Investigator
1) Principal Investigator: Office for Naval Research, "Current-controlled optical modulator for SBS- and SRS-digital data transferring fiber-line," $356,659, October 2008-September 2011.
2) Principal Investigator: National Institute of Standards and Technology, "Applying foundational concepts in quantum mechanics to quantum information, computing, and measurement," ~$900,000, 2007-2008.
3) Principal Investigator: Naval Research Laboratory, "Slow Light Technology," $65,000, 2006-2008.
4) Principal Investigator: CTNS-Stars, "Time and Reality: New Insights from Weak Measurements and Non-locality," $100,000, co-Investigators include Yakir Aharonov, David Albert, Paul Davies, Brian Greene, Menas Kafatos, etc.
5) Principal Investigator: Office for Naval Research, "Nonlinear optics for cryostat," $456,500, October 2009-September 2012.
- Recent Creative, Scholarly Work and Publications
Y. Aharonov, F. Colombo, I. Sabadini, D.C. Struppa, J. Tollaksen, “On the Cauchy problem for the Schrodinger equation with superoscillatory initial data,” Journal-Mathematiques-Pures-Appliquees, DOI:10.1016/j.mathpur.2012.06.008.
Y. Aharonov, F. Colombo, I. Sabadini, S. Nussinov, D.C. Struppa, J. Tollaksen, “Superoscillations phenomenona in SO(3),” Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical, doi: 10.1098/rspa.2012.0131, 27 June 2012.
Y. Aharonov, F. Colombo, I. Sabadiniy, D.C. Struppa, J. Tollaksen, "On some operators associated to superoscillations," Complex Analysis and Operator Theory, 2012.
Nussinov, S., Tollaksen, J., ``Extreme sub-radiance: can quantum effects generate dramatically longer atomic lifetimes?", Foundations of Physics, DOI 10.1007/s10701-012-9663-7, June 8, 2012.
Tollaksen, J, “Pre and post-selection, weak measurements and the flow of time in quantum mechanics,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Quantum Theory, ed.: G. Jaeger, A. Khrennikov, M. Schlosshauer, G. Weihs, AIP Conference Proceedings Volume 1327, 978-0-7354-0882-1, Pages: 240-268 (2011).
Tollaksen, J., “Time-symmetry, weak measurements and dynamical non-locality in quantum mechanics,” in press, American Physical Society proceedings for the “75 years of entanglement” conference, Journal of Physics: Conf, 2011.
Tollaksen, J, “Dynamical quantum non-locality,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Quantum Theory, ed.: G. Jaeger, A. Khrennikov, M. Schlosshauer, G. Weihs, AIP Conference Proceedings Volume 1327, 978-0-7354-0882-1, Pages: 269-288 (2011).
Aharonov, Y., Colombo, F., Sabadini, I., Struppa, D.C., Tollaksen, J., “Some mathematical properties of superoscillations, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical 44 (2011) 365304.
T. Kaufherr, Y. Aharonov, S. Nussinov, S. Popescu, and J. Tollaksen, "Dynamical features of interference phenomena in the presence of entanglement," Physical Review A, 83, 052127 (2011).
Aharonov, Y., Popescu, S., Tollaksen, J., "A time-symmetric formulation of quantum mechanics," Feature Story for Physics Today, May 2011.
Aharonov, Y., Popescu, S., Tollaksen, J., “Consistent treatments of quantum mechanics,” Physics Today, October, 2011.
Aharonov, Y., Tollaksen, J., “New insights on Time-Symmetry in Quantum Mechanics,” in VISIONS OF DISCOVERY: New Light on Physics, Cosmology And Consciousness, ed. R. Y. Chiao, M. L. Cohen, A. J. Leggett, W. D. Phillips, and C. L. Harper, Jr. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
Tollaksen, J., Aharonov, Y., Casher, A., Kaufherr, T., Nussinov, S., “Quantum interference experiments, modular variables and weak measurements,” New Journal of Physics, 12 (2010) 013023.
Aharonov, Y., Popescu, S., Tollaksen, J., "A time-symmetric formulation of quantum mechanics," Feature Story for Physics Today, November 2010.
Tollaksen, J. and Aharonov, Y “Deterministic Operators, Weak Measurements and Interference Phenomenon” Journal of Physics: Conf, 196 012006 (2009) Institute of Physics.
Aharonov, Y., Popescu, S., Tollaksen, J. Vaidman, L. Physical Review A, “Multiple-time states and multiple-time measurements in quantum mechanics,” 79, 052110 (2009).