Dr. Fran C. Dickson
Professor, Chair, Department of Communication Studies
- Doti Hall 202B
- Office Hours:
- T/Th 10-12 p.m.; W/1-3 p.m.
- State University of New York At Buffalo, Bachelor of Arts
West Virginia University, Master of Arts
Bowling Green State University, Ph.D. in Communication Studies
Fran C. Dickson (Ph.D., Bowling Green State University, 1982) is Professor and Chair in the Department of Communication Studies. Her teaching interests are interpersonal and personal relationships, later-life marriages, health communication, communication and aging, research methods, and communication and conflict. She has published book chapters and referred articles in the area of family communication, communication and aging, and health communication. Dr. Dickson's most recent projects include exploration of parenting challenges among families that are homeless, conflict among later-life married and remarried couples, and HIV/AIDS among later-life dating adults. Her work appears in Handbook of Marriage and the Family (2nd ED.), Engaging Theories in Family Communication: Multiple Perspectives, and The Family Communication Sourcebook. In addition, she has published articles in the Southern Communication Journal, Qualitative Research Reports in Communication, The Journal of Applied Communication Research, The Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, and The Journal of Family Communication. She is also a past chair of the Family Communication Division of the National Communication Association.
- Full Professor, Department of Communication Studies, Chapman University, Orange, CA. 2009 - present.
- Department Chair, 2009 - presentFull Professor, Department of Human Communication Studies, University of Denver, Denver, CO. 2007 - 2009
- Director of Wellness Living and Learning Community, 2007- 2009Associate Professor (with tenure) Department of Human Communication Studies, University of Denver, Denver, CO. 1996 - 2007.
- Department Chair, 2002 - 2005
- Director of Graduate Studies, 1996 - 2001
- Dickson, F., & Webb, L. (2012) Communication for Families in Crisis. Peter Lang Publishing.
- Dickson, F., & Walker, K. (2008) HIV/AIDS among Later-Life Adults: A Communication Perspective. In D'Silva, M.U., J. L., Hart & Walker, K.L. (Eds.) HIV/AIDS: Prevention and Health Communication, Cambridge Scholars Publishing: United Kingdom.
- Morr Serewicz, M.C., Dickson, F.C., Morrison, J.H.T.A., & Poole, L. (2007) Family privacy orientations, relationship maintenance, and family satisfaction in college students' family relationships. Journal of Family Communication.
- Hughes, P.C., & Dickson, F.C. (2006). Relational dynamics in interfaith marriages. In L. Turner & R. West (Eds.), The Family communication sourcebook. (pp.373-388). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Galvin, K., Dickson, F.C., & Marrow, S.F. (2006). Systems theory: Patterns and (w)holes in family communication. In D.O. Braithwaite & L.A. Baxter, (Eds.), Engaging theories in family communication: Multiple perspectives (pp.309-324). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
- Dickson, F.C., Christian, A., & Remmo, C.J. (2004). An exploration of martial and family issues among later-life adults. In A. Vanelisti (Ed.), Handbook of Family Communication (pp. 153-174). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Whitchurch, G.G., & Dickson, F.C. (1999). A communication perspective on families. In M.B. Sussman, S.K. Steinmetz, & G. Peterson (Eds.), Handbook of marriage and the family (2nd ed., pp. 687-704). New York: Springer/Plenum Press.
Recent Professional Presentations
- Dickson, F. (2009). Theories Involved in Teaching Media Literacy Skills as a Service Learning Project. Southern States Communication Association, Norfolk, VA.
- Dickson, F., Morr Serewicz, M.C., Corti, J., Foster, D., Johnson, D., & Zohar, A. (2009) An investigation of mediated communication between young adults and their parents. Western Speec Communication Association, Phoenix, AZ.
- Dickson, F. (2008) It can be done: Managing the challenges of family and scholarships in the academy. National Communication Association, San Diego, CA.
Undergraduate and Graduate Coures:
- Introduction to Comm Quantitative Methods
- Family Comm Seminar in Interpersonal Comm
- Communication and Aging Seminar in Interpersonal Comm Theory
- Interpersonal Comm Seminar in Family Comm
- Intergenerational Comm Seminar in Adv. Family Comm
- Comm in Close Relationships Relational Comm
- Nonverbal Comm Seminar in Narratives
- Introduction to Comm Theory Special Topics: Understudied Relationships
- Health Comm
- Women and Comm
- Comm and Conflict
- Intro to Personal Relationships
- Small Group Comm
- Mediated Comm & Close Relationships
- Recent Creative, Scholarly Work and Publications
Dickson, F.C., Borowsky, J., Johnson, D., Corti, J.K., Baldwin, K.T., Lawrence, L., & Velasco, J. (2012). Communication challenges of parenting in Homeless families. (pp. 337-360). In Dickson, F.C., & Webb, L.M. (Eds.) Communication for families in crisis: Theories, method, strategies. New York: Peter Lang Publishers.
Webb, L.M., & Dickson, F.C. (2012) Effective Family Communication for Coping with Stress. (pp. 1-26). In Dickson, F.C., & Webb, L.M. (Eds.) Communication for Families in crisis: Theories, method, strategies. New York: Peter Lang Publishers.
Dickson, F. C., & Webb, L. M., (2012). (Eds.) Communication for families in crisis: Theories, methods, strategies. New York: Peter Lang Publishers.
Dickson, F.C. (2010). Avoiding family stress and conflict during the holidays. Communication Currents, 5(6). http://www.natcom.org/CommCurrentsArticle.aspx?id=2147483967
Dickson, F., & Walker, K. (2009) HIV/AIDS among Later-life Adults: A Communication Perspective. In D’Silva, M.U., J.L., Hart & Walker, K.L. (Eds.) HIV/AIDS: Prevention and Health Communication, Cambridge Scholars Publishing: United Kingdom.