Assistant Professor, Instructional Faculty
- Office Location:
- Doti Hall 212
- Office Hours:
- Spring 2014 Mon./Wed. 10-11 a.m.; Tue. 10-12 p.m., 1-2 p.m.; Fri. 10-11 a.m.; 1-2 p.m.
- (714) 744-7017
- City University of New York Hunter College, Bachelor of Arts
University of Iowa, Master of Arts in English
- Allen Levy (M.A., University of Iowa) has taught at the University of Maryland, eastern Shore, and Old Dominion University, in addition to Chapman, and has a long and distinguished career as in the music and entertainment industry. He was pop music and television critic for an entertainment weekly in Cincinnati, Ohio, and later held public relations and artist development posts for Polydor Records, A & M Records, ASCAP, and Emmy-award winning television production company Steve Binder Productions. His writing has appeared in the Los Angeles Times, and he was theatre critic for The Los Angeles Reader. A talented screenwriter, he has had scripts optioned by such companies as 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures, and Hanna-Barbera. Having worked in many corporate settings, he brings real-world experiences to his classrooms. Allen serves as faculty advisor to Chapman Radio and strives to show his students both in and out of the classroom that "the future belongs to those who can communicate."
- June 2006 - January 2007
Creative Consultant, Centennial Celebration of Workman's Circle/Arbeter Ring, socially progressive organization dedicated to the preservation of Yiddish culture and the creation of a "more beautiful and better world."
- June 2005 - to date
Marketing Consultant, "Regan's Record Rack," Internet radio station.
- May 2003
Creative Consultant/Media Consultant Los Angeles County Human Relations Commission - formulated marketing, publicity, advertising campaign.
- September 1969 - June 1970
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio:
- September 1964 - February 1966
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
M.A. (English Literature): Thesis: "The Classical tradition in Four Poems of Keats."
Courses in Iowa Writer's Workshop and in literary criticism
- September 1960 - June 1964
Hunter College (CUNY), Bronx, New York
B.A. (Major: English; Minor: History)
- Wrote column on popular music/popular culture for Hunter College Arrow, weekly student newspaper. Contributor to Monday Review, Hunter College English Department literary review.
Awards, Honors, Membership
- Member, Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication (AEJMC)
- Member, Educators Academy section of Committee to Revise the PRSA Code of Professional Standards for the Practice of Public Relations, November 1999 to date.
- Chapman University Faculty Award of Excellent in Teaching and Advising, May 1998.
Courses Taught at Chapman
- Principles of Public Relations
- Public Relations Campaigns
- Organizational Communications
- Writing for Public Relations
- Advanced Writing for Public Relations
- Inside the Music Business
- Intro to Mass Communications
- Issues in Mass Communications
- Theories of Persuasion
- Radio: History/Impact
- Chapman Radio Workshop
- June 2006 - January 2007
- Recent Creative, Scholarly Work and Publications
Op-Ed piece in Los Angeles Times