Located in the heart of Southern California and its thriving entertainment industry, Chapman University School of Law, in conjunction with Chapman's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts, is proud to offer the first and fully integrated JD/MFA in Producing program in the country.
Gain insight into the legal workings of the entertainment industry from experienced legal professionals whose combined work includes representing and advising major motion picture companies, drafting music industry contracts, and executive producing feature films.
- Become an expert in understanding intellectual property rights, conducting entertainment contract negotiations, and navigating the intricacies of licensing.
- Have the opportunity to earn practical experience through the Entertainment Contracts Law Clinic, where you work directly with low budget independent filmmakers and serve as production legal counsel for a feature length motion picture
- Participate in externships which take you to the legal departments of industry powerhouses such as VH1, SpikeTV, Warner Brothers, Summit Entertainment, or the Screen Actors Guild.
MFA in Producing
- Study the fundamentals of film production, (including writing, directing, cinematography, post-production, and sound) that culminates into an MFA thesis film or media production that you personally produce.
- Learn from working professionals with a combined filmography of more than 150 feature films.
- Master the business end of the entertainment industry, including:
- The development process of film and television
- Securing the rights to creative material
- Film and television financing
- Organizing, budgeting and scheduling productions
- Marketing, distribution and exhibition