»Screenwriting Graduate Application
In order to apply to the Screenwriting graduate program, you must submit an application through Apply Yourself, as well as create an account through SlideRoom to upload your supplemental materials. Below are the materials required for each area.
- Apply Yourself Application
- Personal Information
- Dodge College Supplemental Materials submitted via SlideRoom
- Statement of Intent
- Unofficial copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript
- Creative Portfolio List
- Transformational Moment Essay
- Narrative Scene
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Other Required Documents that need to be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions
- Official copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript
- Additional documentation is required for international students (see main Admissions Office website for more information)
- If your cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 you must submit a GRE score
No additional information should be sent to Dodge College or the Office of Admissions outside of what is required on the application. Any outside work sent to either office will not be reviewed as part of the admission process. All supplemental materials and recommendations MUST be submitted through Slideroom.
+-Supplemental Materials for 2014/2015
All items below must be submitted though SlideRoom. Submissions sent any other way will not be accepted.
1. Creative Portfolio List
Upload a one (1) to two (2) page list of activities that demonstrates your potential in your area of chosen specialization focusing on creative accomplishments. Include in this list specific items that you could submit, if requested, to Dodge College of Film and Media Arts. Each listing should include a brief description of the work and your role in its creation.
Example of Portfolio listing (use this format):
Title: Roger's Car
16 minutes, Video 2005. Valley College
Log line: Unusual circumstance allows a sixteen-year-old to get his first car. I wrote this story for a creative writing class and produced the film with the help of my friends.
2. Transformational Moment Essay
Submit a two (2) page essay describing a transformational moment in your life. Essays should be typed, single-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, one-inch margins on all sides.3. Narrative Scene
In no more than three (3) pages write a compelling dramatic scene based on this scenario: Two people’s car breaks down which leads to a change in their relationship. This may be written in short story or screenplay format. We are looking for the strength in your visual storytelling ability; there is no preference in format.
Screenwriting applicants are required to submit either a short film or feature length screenplay written by you without the collaboration of others. Screenplays should be submitted in standard screenplay format, as a PDF or Word document. Short film screenplays should be approximately 20-25 pages in length, and feature length screenplays should be about 115-120 pages. Please make sure that your screenplay includes your name, title of screenplay, and year your screenplay was completed.
Letters of Recommendation
We also require two letters of recommendations to be submitted through SlideRoom. DO NOT submit letters of recommendation through any other method.
All application and supplemental materials must submitted electronically through Apply Yourself or SlideRoom by the deadline below. Late applicants will be reviewed on a space available basis.
December 1, 2014
*Please note: In order to be considered for a Fellowship you must apply by the December 1st deadline. We do not accept applicants for the spring semester.
+-Official Copy of Degree Granting Undergraduate Transcript
You also need to send in an official copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript. This should be mailed to:
Office of Graduate Admission1 University Drive Orange, CA 92866
Additional documentation is required for international students. Please visit the Office of Admissions for more information.
Questions about applying?
- Graduate Applications
- Graduate Application Procedure+
- Apply - Documentary Film+
- Apply - Film Studies+
- Apply - Film Production/emphasis Directing+
- Apply - Film Production/Cinematography Emphasis+
- Apply - Film Production/Editing Emphasis+
- Apply - Film Production/Sound Design Emphasis+
- Apply - Film/TV Producing+
- Apply - Production Design+
- Apply - Screenwriting+
- Apply - Joint MBA/MFA Film & TV Producing+
- Apply – JD/MFA Film/TV Producing+
- Tuition, Aid & Fellowships+
- Graduate Admission FAQs+