»Film Studies Graduate Application
The following items must be submitted to be considered for admission to the Film Studies graduate program:
- Apply Yourself Application
- Personal Information
- Statement of Intent
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Dodge College Supplemental Materials*
- Creative/Scholarly Portfolio List
- Transformational Moment Essay
- Scholarly Writing Sample
- Official copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript
- Additional documentation is required for international students (see main Admissions Office website for more information)
- If your cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 you must submit your GRE score
+-Supplemental Materials for 2012/2013
Supplemental Materials for 2012/2013
Creative/Scholarly Portfolio List
Upload a one to two page list of activities that demonstrates your creative or scholarly potential in your area of chosen specialization (producing, directing, screenwriting, editing, cinematography, sound design, production design) focusing on creative accomplishments. Applicants to MA Film Studies should focus on scholarly accomplishments. Include in this list specific items that you could submit, if requested, to the Lawrence and Kristina Dodge College of Film and Media Arts. Each listing should include a brief description of the work and your role in its creation.Example of Portfolio listing (use this format):
Title: Roger's Car
16 minutes, Video 2005. Valley College
Log line: Unusual circumstance allows a sixteen-year-old to get his first car. I wrote this story for a creative writing class and produced the film with the help of my friends.
Transformational Moment Essay
Upload to the AY application a two-page essay describing a transformational moment in your life.Scholarly Writing Sample
Upload a scholarly writing sample that is either an academic paper written in college or a five to ten page review or analysis of some aspect of film that demonstrates critical and analytical skills. In the absence of a film-related paper, an academic paper on a subject in other arts or humanities is acceptable.
All application and portfolio pieces are submitted electronically. If you are asked to submit hard copies, please send them to Chapman University’s Office of Admissions. Information sent directly to Dodge College will not be accepted.
December 1, 2012
*Please note: In order to be considered for a Fellowship you must apply by the December 1st deadline. We do not accept applicants for the spring semester.
Notifications will go out starting in mid-March, and will continue through May.
+-Official Copy of Degree Granting Undergraduate Transcript
You also need to send in an official copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript. This should be mailed to:
Office of Graduate Admission
1 University Drive Orange, CA 92866.
Additional documentation is required for international students. Please visit the Office of Admissions for more information.
Questions about applying?
- Graduate Applications
- Graduate Application Procedure+
- Apply - Film Studies+
- Apply - Film Production/emphasis Directing+
- Apply - Film Production/Cinematography Emphasis+
- Apply - Film Production/Editing Emphasis+
- Apply - Film Production/Sound Design Emphasis+
- Apply - Film/TV Producing+
- Apply - Production Design+
- Apply - Screenwriting+
- Apply - Joint MBA/MFA Film & TV Producing+
- Apply – JD/MFA Film/TV Producing+
- Tuition, Aid & Fellowships+
- Graduate Admission FAQs+