Universities nationwide have noticed an increase in successful email - based phishing attacks which are designed to solicit your login and password information.What is Phishing Fraud?
- "Phishing" is a kind of fraud perpetrated over email. It is a type of identity theft.
- The goal of a phishing is to trick you into giving out your email login name and password.
- Phishers who get your email login name and password will send out hundreds of thousands of spam messages as you, ruining your reputation.
- Phishing emails can be very persuasive and try very hard to look official.
- Phishing emails can be personalized. They can say they come from Chapman University, and even be addressed to you by name.
- Chapman University will NEVER ask for your password.
- Chapman University will NEVER threaten to delete your account to make space.
- Chapman University will NEVER ask you to prove that you are still an active user.
- Do NOT respond to email messages which ask you to provide or verify your personal information.
- Do NOT follow any directions contained in such messages.
- Giving out your login name and password is a violation of the Chapman University Network Acceptable Use Policy.
If you ever receive any suspicious email, forward it IMMEDIATELY to email@example.com