Why is the University making this change?
With Google Apps students will now have larger storage space and a suite of tools such as email, calendars, document sharing, start page, and instant Messaging all from their @mail.chapman.edu account that will enhance their email experience.
What is Gmail?
Gmail is Google's search-based webmail service that combines the best features of traditional email with Google’s search technology.
When will the PantherMail service be available?
Chapman University will transition to PantherMail from Webmail beginning August 15, 2008.
What if I already have a Gmail account?
If you already have a Gmail account, it is okay. You will have another account for just your Chapman email.
What is my email address?
Email addresses will be of the form email@example.com, where username is your Chapman account name.
Who is eligible to get a PantherMail account?
- All newly admitted and existing students will have a PantherMail account created on August 15, 2008.
- Alumni students will continue to have a WebMail account but, in the near future will be migrated to a PantherMail account.
- Adjunct faculty and staff will continue to have a WebMail account but, in the future will be migrated to a new email system.
- Full-time staff and also a student will still have an exchange account and a WebMail account. In the future, the WebMail account will be migrated to a new email system.
- Full-time faculty and staff will still have an exchange account.
Will I be able to keep my email address after I graduate from Chapman?
Yes, your Chapman Gmail account will continue to work after you graduate.
How much storage space will I have with PantherMail?
Each student will receive 6.5GB.
What is the maximum size for a PantherMail attachment?
PantherMail limits the attachment size to 20MB but, the recipient’s email system may not allow attachments of this size.
Here are links to Google's website for help with the applications.
How do I control SPAM?
Google has one of the best spam blockers in the business, and it’s integrated into Google Apps.
How do I log into the new PantherMail service?
To log into your PantherMail account click here.
You will be prompted for a username and password at both sites.
For the Username: Your Chapman username (e.g. smith100)
And for the Password: Your Chapman password
I can't log into my PantherMail account. How do I get my password reset?
Contact the Computer Service Desk at 714-997-6600 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance logging into Gmail.
How do I forward my email from PantherMail to another email address?
We would like to encourage you to try the PantherMail service, which includes Google Chat, Documents and Calendar, but if you wish, you can forward incoming mail to another email address.
Here’s how to forward messages automatically:
- Log into PantherMail
- Click 'Settings' link at top of PantherMail.
- Click 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' link.
- Enter the email address to which you’d like your messages forwarded.
- Select the action you’d like your messages to take from the drop-down menu. We recommend you choose to keep a copy of messages sent to you in your Chapman University Gmail inbox, or you can choose to send it automatically to All Mail or Trash.
- Click 'Save changes'.
Can I use other email clients?
For POP configuration instructions, see Google's website.
For IMAP configuration instructions, see Google's website.
How does this new address affect communication using the Chapman Blackboard?
It will continue to work.
PantherMail Privacy and Security
Will Google read my email?
Google does NOT read your email.
Does Chapman or Google share my personal information with any outside organizations?
Is my Chapman PantherMail account secure and private?
This service is being provided by the University as the primary email/collaboration system for students. University policies will apply to the service.
Your Chapman PantherMail account has been customized for optimal educational collaboration. Chapman University has taken steps to ensure that your student data is protected above and beyond a publicly available account.
How do I ensure that my data stays secure when I'm using a shared or public computer?
IMPORTANT: Be sure to always LOG OFF on the computer or click the SIGN OUT button when you are finished using the computer or your PantherMail account on a shared or public computer.