- Charging Ahead!Charging Ahead!EV Chargers are available for use free of charge!
- Solar Powered ChargingSolar Powered ChargingDavis Quad is now home to a ConnecTable solar-powered charging table to charge your electronic devices!
- Sub-Metering comes to Campus!Sub-Metering comes to Campus!The new sub-metering system allows the Facilities Management department to understand building energy usage.
- Pumping KilowattsPumping KilowattsHead over to the Henley Fitness Center and generate some energy while you work up a sweat.
- Environmental AuditsEnvironmental AuditsIn 2013, 2014 and 2015 the graduating classes in the Environmental Science and Policy Program performed an Environmental Audit for Chapman.
»Current Sustainability Programming and Projects
Beginning in 2013, the graduating classes of the Environmental Science and Policy Program create an Environmental Sustainability Audit for Chapman University each year. This project serves to determine a baseline for Chapman University and provide support for the current sustainability programs and future sustainability planning. The class of 2013 Environmental Audit looked at ten areas, including dining, waste and recycling, energy management, and water use. The class of 2014 Environmental Audit focused on areas such as residential buildings, landscaping alternatives, and new campus construction. The 2015 Environmental Audit discussed behavior change in various settings at Chapman in addition to retrofitting and retrocommissioning.
Water- Refill Stations
In an effort to reduce plastic consumption campus-wide, Chapman began installing water bottle refilling stations in 2012. Members of the Chapman Community can bring reusable water bottles and refill them for free at any of the 13 stations around the main campus, housing and residential center, and Panther Village. They have helped to significantly reduce Chapman's production of plastic waste and, due to their success, are continuing to be expanded in new locations around the university.
Learn more details about the stations on our Water- Refill Stations page.
Additionally, take the pledge to stop buying disposable plastic water bottles on campus!
Big Belly Solar Trash Compactors
As part of a pilot project in March of 2013 Chapman University installed three Big Belly Solar Trash Compactors on the main campus. These three dual trash and recycling units replaced eight trash bins and seven recycling bins on main campus. The 15 bins that the Big Bellys replaced had to be checked twice a day, every day. Instead of requiring someone to physically check every bin, the Big Bellys send an email to the custodians when they are full. The three pilot bins are emptied roughly 1.3 times a week, so our custodial staff was able to re-allocate the saved time to other projects. Because the pilot project was so successful, in the fall of 2013 Chapman added seven more dual trash and recycling Big Bellys to the campus landscape.
Learn more about the Big Bellys on our Waste Management page.
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Chapman University currently has eight electric vehicle charging stations on campus. The GE WattStation charging units found in Lastinger, Barrera, West Campus, DMAC and Miller Parking Structures and the Knott Studios Parking Lot are the very first stations of their kind to be installed on a college campus in America!
Learn more about the EV Charging Stations on our Sustainable Transportation page.
EnviroPure Comes to Campus
Sodexo and Chapman Restaurant Services installed the EnviroPure Food Digester in an effort to reduce the amount of waste leaving campus and decrease expenses associated with organic waste management. The EnviroPure digests all organic waste leaving the Randall Dining Commons using bacteria whose natural processes are aided by the introduction of water and air. The EnviroPure is allowing the University to revamp its waste management strategy across many areas on campus and in turn is contributing to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and waste-hauling expenses.
- Environmental Audit+
- »2015 Environmental Audit
- »Energy Efficiency on the Main Campus
- »LEED EBOM analysis of Argyros Forum
- »Main Campus Retrofits
- »On Campus Behavior Change
- »Residence Halls Retrofits
- »Residence Life Retro-commissioning
- »Energy Behavior Change in Residence Halls
- »Policies, Standards and Scheduling
- »2015 Environmental Audit
- Green Buildings+
- Get Involved+
- Sustainable Transportation+
- Current Sustainability Programs+
- Energy Management
- Waste Management+
- California's Drought+