»The Greenest Building is the One Already Built

"Preservation saves energy by taking advantage of the non-recoverable energy embodied in an existing building and extending the use of it”

--Advisory Council on Historic Preservation

Chapman University has always practiced values of conservation and preservation as they relate to reusing existing buildings on campus and as we expand. Over the course of the University's 150+ year history it has worked to restore and repurpose buildings and homes on campus in an effort to reduce raw resource consumption, make use of the embodied energy of already existing structures, and contribute to the historic feel of the Old Towne Orange Community. 

Cypress Street Schoolhouse

Cypress Street Schoolhouse

In 2012 Chapman completed its renovation of the Cypress Street School House. The Schoolhouse, originally built in 1928, is the last remaining historical segregated school in Southern California. Today the Schoolhouse has been turned into a state-of-the-art facility and is equipped to support the nationally recognized Early Human and Lifespan Development Research Program. The Cypress Street Schoolhouse achieved LEED Gold in the fall of 2013. The LEED features of this building include a green cleaning plan, an environmentally friendly pest management plan, light pollution reduction, native landscaping, and controllable building systems. For more information on the Cypress Street Schoolhouse building and the programs housed there, please visit our Happenings Blog

Doti Hall

Doti Hall

In the winter of 2013 Chapman opened a new classroom building, Doti Hall, named after current University President Jim Doti. While the building didn't pursue LEED certification, it has many sustainable features, and likely would have received LEED Gold Certification, had certification been pursued. Sustainable design features of this building include;

  • Operable windows for natural ventilation that trigger a sensor to turn off air conditioning or heating when they are opened
  • The use of natural light to reduce the lighting load (skylights on the 3rd floor transform into windows that transfer light to inner portions of the building, large classroom windows, and light wells that serve the basement classrooms)
  • Dual pain, high performance glass reducing thermal transmission of heating and cooling
  • Cool roof: a light colored single ply roof that reduces solar heat gain
  • Pre and post constriction commissioning to fine tune the building's heating, cooling, electrical, and plumbing systems and to be sure they are operating as intended
  • Storm water from the site and roof are collected and filtered before leaving the site
  • Low flow faucets and toilets yield a 20% reduction in water consumption
  • Extensive use of recycled materials and finishes
  • Construction waste recycling
  • It was the first building on campus to implement the new Cal Green Building code requirements, achieving performance that far exceeds normal baseline standards

Wilkinson Hall

Wilkinson HallWilkinson Hall, named after former trustee, chairman, and acting president J.E. Wilkinson, was originally constructed in 1904 on the Orange High School campus. In 1921 it was moved 250 feet from where it sat in the middle of what is now Bert Williams Mall, and turned around 90 degrees, coming to rest at its current location. Chapman College, as it was called at the time, acquired the building in 1954. It now houses the Office of Academic Affairs, English and Comparative Literature, Graduate Studies, and the departments of Religion and Philosophy. The building is listed in the National Registry of Historical Buildings.

Memorial Hall

Memorial Hall

Memorial Hall, the campus capstone with its neo-classic columns was completed in 1921 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings. The four pillars are said to have inspired the "four pillars of education": spiritual, mental, physical, and social. Originally one of the main academic buildings on campus, today it houses the offices of the President, the Chancellor, the Executive Vice President, Vice President of Campus Planning Operations, and University Relations. The understated elegance has made it an attractive backdrop for scenes in the movies Crimson Tide, That Thing You Do, and Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Smith Hall

Smith HallSmith Hall, completed in 1913 is home to the Department of Psychology. It was named in honor of former president G.T. (Buck) Smith who served as president of the university from 1977 to 1988. Smith Hall was designed by local Santa Ana architect Fredrick Eley.

Reeves Hall

Reeves Hall

Reeves Hall was completed in 1913 and originally served as part of Orange High School. It was acquired by Chapman in 1954, along with all the other historic properties and named in honor of George Reeves, the University President from 1942 to 1956. It, like Smith Hall, was designed by local Santa Ana architect Fredrick Eley.

  • Featured
  • News
  • Events
  • page loading
    TODAY TOMORROW

    »

    TODAY TOMORROW

    »

    TODAY TOMORROW

    »

    View all News »
  • page loading
    TODAY TOMORROW

    »

    TODAY TOMORROW

    »

    TODAY TOMORROW

    »

    View all Events »