In 2011, Chapman University acquired and renovated a historic and beautiful home for alumni. Elliott Alumni House was named in honor of Chapman alumni Tom ’60 and Pat ’60 (M.A. '74) Elliott, whose leadership gift helped to make the purchase and renovation possible.
Located at the corner of North Olive Street and West Maple Avenue, the prominent two-story house with the steep-pitch, multi-gable roof is a familiar landmark to the Chapman community. For the 14 years prior to its purchase by Chapman, it served as Victorian Manor Tea Rooms.
The Folk Victorian home was built in 1904 by William J. and Ella Granger, founders of First National Bank of Orange on the Plaza. The house reflects quality craftsmanship throughout. It is adorned with European cherry wood that was imported from England on the sailing ship of Mr. Granger's grandfather. The original window pulleys still work today as they did at the turn of the century. The window glass is also original. The lighting has transitioned through the centuries from gas to primitive electrical to the standard electrical lighting of today. The stairway is hand-carved with loving detail.
Recognizing the significant contributions of Chapman University to the preservation and sympathetic reuse of this historic building in Old Towne, the Old Towne Preservation Association awarded Elliott Alumni House the Special Merit/Adaptive Re-Use Award at their 17th annual awards program in May 2011.
Elliott Alumni House is an inviting space – rich with history, heritage and legacy – that Chapman alumni can proudly call their own. Alumni are always invited and encouraged to drop by the house for a visit or a tour.