»Screenwriting Graduate Application
The following items must be submitted to be considered for admission to the Screenwriting program:
- Apply Yourself Application
- Personal Information
- Statement of Intent
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Dodge College Supplemental Materials*
- Creative/Scholarly Portfolio List
- Transformational Moment Essay
- Dramatic Scene
- Official copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript
- Additional documentation is required for international students (see main Admissions Office website for more information)
- If your cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 you must submit your GRE score
+-Supplemental Materials for 2012/2013
Supplemental Materials for 2012/2013
Creative/Scholarly Portfolio List
Upload a one to two page list of activities that demonstrates your creative or scholarly potential in your area of chosen specialization (producing, directing, screenwriting, editing, cinematography, sound design, production design) focusing on creative accomplishments. Applicants to MA Film Studies should focus on scholarly accomplishments. Include in this list specific items that you could submit, if requested, to the Lawrence and Kristina Dodge College of Film and Media Arts. Each listing should include a brief description of the work and your role in its creation.
Creative/Scholarly Portfolio List - all applicants
Example of Portfolio listing (use this format):
Title: Roger's Car
16 minutes, Video 2005. Valley College
Log line: Unusual circumstance allows a sixteen-year-old to get his first car. I wrote this story for a creative writing class and produced the film with the help of my friends.Transformational Moment Essay
Upload to the AY application a two page essay describing a transformational moment in your life.Dramatic Scene
Pick one of the scenarios below and in no more than three pages write a compelling dramatic scene. You may use any format you like - narrative short story, screenplay, stage play, etc. Upload to the AY application.
1. Two siblings await the start of their father's funeral.
2. A married couple on the verge of separating get stuck in the snow together.
3. Three strangers are huddled together in a crowded hospital emergency room.Screenplay
Screenwriting applicants are required to submit either a short film or feature length screenplay written by you without the collaboration of others. Screenplays should be submitted in standard screenplay format, as a PDF or Word document. Short film screenplays should be approximately 20-25 pages in length, and feature length screenplays should be about 115-120 pages. Please make sure that your screenplay includes your name, title of screenplay, and year your screenplay was completed.
The screenplay must be submitted via our upload site at: http://uploads.chapman.edu/graduatefilmadmission/. It cannot be uploaded to the AY application.
All application and portfolio pieces are submitted electronically. If you are asked to submit hard copies, please send them to Chapman University’s Office of Admissions. Information sent directly to Dodge College will not be accepted.
December 1, 2012
*Please note: In order to be considered for a Fellowship you must apply by the December 1st deadline. We do not accept applicants for the spring semester.
+-Official Copy of Degree Granting Undergraduate Transcript
You also need to send in an official copy of your degree granting undergraduate transcript. This should be mailed to:
Office of Graduate Admission1 University Drive Orange, CA 92866
Additional documentation is required for international students. Please visit the Office of Admissions for more information.
Questions about applying?
- Graduate Applications
- Graduate Application Procedure+
- Apply - Film Studies+
- Apply - Film Production/emphasis Directing+
- Apply - Film Production/Cinematography Emphasis+
- Apply - Film Production/Editing Emphasis+
- Apply - Film Production/Sound Design Emphasis+
- Apply - Film/TV Producing+
- Apply - Production Design+
- Apply - Screenwriting+
- Apply - Joint MBA/MFA Film & TV Producing+
- Apply – JD/MFA Film/TV Producing+
- Tuition, Aid & Fellowships+
- Graduate Admission FAQs+