The Student Government Association funds clubs and organizations, campus departments, and undergraduate students.
+-Funding - How It Works
SGA funding is a two step process. First you must apply to receive funding at least two weeks prior to the date of event or purchase you would like contribution from SGA funds. Once the request is turned in, it is reviewed by SGA and a decision email will be sent to you. At this point you may now purchase the requested items. Second, after your purchases are complete, you may turn in a SGA Check Request and you will be reimbursed for your approved expenses.
Before submitting a funding application to the Student Government Association, please read:
- The Organization Training Guide, an overview for successfully filling out funding applications.
- The SGA Funding Process – Student Org & Co-Sponsorship document for information about how to request funds and be reimbursed.
- The SGA Funding Reminders document for information about items that can or cannot be reimbursed, and tips for making the funding process easier for you.
- Any organization or department receiving funding from SGA must abide by the SGA Media Guidelines.
Once applications are submitted, the allocations committee reviews all requests. If a request is over $1,000, it will go to the full senate for a vote. Refer to the Important Funding Submission Dates document for a timeline on when funding requests need to be submitted for consideration.
+-Academic and Student Organizations Funding
Clubs and Organizations
The Student Government Association may provide funding to student organizations recognized by the department of Student Engagement through either our Academic Organization fund or Student Organization fund. To apply for funding, please follow the following steps:
Log onto Chapman.OrgSync.com to access your "Admin" portal for your organization
In the menu towards the right, there is a "more" section
Click on "Treasury" within that drop-menu option
You may then build a budget to request SGA funding which will then be submitted directly to the Director of Finance.
Clubs and Organizations Conference Funding
A recognized Academic Organization or Student Organization sending five or more students or a total cost over $2,500 to a conference qualifies for Student Organization Conference Funding. This allows the organization to submit a group packet, instead of individual members submitting and requesting funds in Conference Scholarships. If awarded, this money comes from the Student Organization budget. To apply for funding, use the Student Organization Conference Funding Application.
For organizations not recognized by The Department of Student Engagement, The Student Government Association may provide funds to co-sponsor an event. Co-sponsorships can be applied toward colleges, clubs not recognized by Student Engagement, and campus departments. To apply for funding, use the Co-Sponsorship Application.
Note: If you are applying as an individual, proceed below. If five or more students of the same organization are applying for the same conference, or there is a total cost among students within an organization totaling over $2,500 for the same conference, you qualify for Student Organization Conference Funding. See tab above.
How to Receive Funding1. Download and complete the “Conference Scholarship Application” and turn it into Kellyn Hodge, Director of Finance, in AF303.
- Reference the "Important Funding Submission Deadlines" document. You must turn in your application at least three days prior to the committee meeting date, and at least two weeks prior to the conference date.
- There are several components to the application, including requirements to submit a resume, personal statement, faculty or staff recommendation letter, and a detail of the conference costs. Make sure to plan ahead to ensure you will have all components of the application completed and ready to turn in by the deadline date.
- Applications will NOT be accepted after the attendance of a conference - no exceptions.
2. The Allocations Committee will review your application and vote on it at the next committee meeting.
- The maximum amount that can be granted to each student per conference is $700. If a student is planning on attending multiple conferences throughout the year, he/she may apply for a separate scholarship for each conference; however, the amount of each scholarship will still be limited to $700 per conference. The Committee will also take into consideration previous scholarships granted when making their decision.
- You should expect to receive an email response from the Director of Finance within four days following the committee meeting date, summarizing the Committee’s decision and justifying any partial or full denial funds.
- If your application is denied, you will be provided feedback as to why it was denied. You may appeal the decision after addressing the issues the Committee had. All appeals must be submitted two weeks prior to conference date.
3. All SGA funds are granted on a reimbursement basis. Once your application has been approved and you have spent the allocated funds, please submit a “Conference Scholarship Check Request” to Kellyn Hodge in AF303.
- You must submit the check request within two weeks after returning from the conference in order to be reimbursed.
- Remember to attach original receipts, copies of invoices and/or confirmation print outs to your check request. If the receipt or invoice does not show the amount paid and a zero balance, you must attach a copy of your bank or credit card statement showing the amount was paid.
- You will only be reimbursed for the items approved by the Committee, at the amounts approved by the Committee.
- You should expect to receive your reimbursement check from Financial Services within three weeks after you submit our request.
+-Check Request Forms
Check Request Forms should be submitted to John Demshki in AF303 after your funding application has been approved by SGA.
You may either print out a pdf version and handwrite the request, or use the excel for to type out the request.
Director of Finance
Office Hours - AF303
1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
By Appointment only. To ensure availability, please email me if you would like to set up an appointment to meet.