Research shows that faculty interaction outside of the classroom is directly linked to student retention, enhanced learning, and increased social and intellectual development (Pascarella & Terenzini, 2005). Being an advisor to a student organization is one way that faculty members have productive and meaningful interactions with students beyond the classroom.
» Advisor Resources
Role of Student Organization Advisor
Advisors are encouraged to talk with student leaders to co-create the role, responsibilities, and time commitment of the advisor for that specific organization. Whatever is decided, the advisor can play a critical role in supporting the organization while still allowing it to run independently so students can gain valuable leadership experience with their peers.
Some of the responsibilities the advisor may want to consider are:
- Help the club navigate campus resources, policies & procedures
- Assist the club in developing an understanding of fulfilling its mission and purpose at Chapman
- Ensure that the organization maintains good standing by attending President's Council and submitting the End of Semester report
- Be a liaison between the club and the University – share chapter successes and university information
- Challenge and support the club to continuously grow and improve
- Promote the Chapman University Code of Conduct and the mission of the University
Event Planning Guide – A step-by-step guide to navigating event planning at Chapman University! Includes contact information for relevant campus departments, as well as information, links and forms for contracts, vendors, calendaring, media services, facilities, catering, and more.
OrgSync - Search all student organizations & departmental student involvement opportunities, find contact info for organization leaders & advisors, request to join organizations, and manage communication with your club.
Student Government Association – See the sections on finance and Senate for information on organization funding, conference scholarship, and student organization advocacy.
Advisor Involvement and Retention – Article from Association of Colleges Unions International (ACUI) about the role and impact of student organization advisors and factors that influence advisor involvement.