In support of the Student Affairs Learning Outcomes, the Department of Student Engagement manages two facilities on campus – the Argyros Forum Student Union and the Julianne Argyros Fitness Center. The Guest Relations Coordinator (GRC) is responsible for co-supervising a Guest Relations staff of 40 students and managing the day-to-day operations of the Student Union and the Fitness Center. Through the execution of the responsibilities listed below, the GRC position serves to create welcoming environments that will contribute to the University by building community, increasing the students’ pride in their university and improving students’ healthy sense of self.
- Work alongside the Graduate Assistant and professional staff to supervise 40 Guest Relations Assistants, including hiring, timesheet review, training, team development, performance evaluation and policy enforcement.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Student Union and Fitness Center in partnership with campus departments including Sodexo, Facilities, Custodial, and Media Services.
- Manage the Union and Fitness Center facility by ensuring all equipment and furnishings are working properly and that facilities are clean and tidy. Responsibilities include submitting work requests to campus departments.
- Jointly maintain quality of services include Student Union Art Gallery, electronic borrowing, charging stations, and “Get Fit with The Union” Fitness Sessions
- Jointly oversee the marketing of the Student Union and Fitness Center including website, social media and digital signage
- Assist campus departments and student organizations in planning events within the Student Union
- Meet weekly 1-1 with the Graduate Assistant
- Attend weekly meetings with the supervision team for the Student Union & Fitness Center
- Attend monthly Sunday team meetings with the Guest Relations Assistants
- Assist in Student Engagement department-wide events
- Assist in other duties as assigned
- Ability to work 15 hours per week including evening, early morning and weekend hours as necessary
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a large group
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Time management skills
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Ability to manage conflict and apply feedback to work performance
- Dependability and accountability
- Initiative and the ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate customer needs
- Ability to use standard office equipment including computer, copier, telephones
- Minimum of a 2.5 GPA
- Ability to climb a ladder
- Ability to lift objects of 45lbs
- Familiarity with departments and organizations at Chapman
- Demonstrated desire to learn
- Prior experience planning, coordinating, and executing logistics of a program or event
- Knowledge of or experience with campus policies and procedures
- Effectiveness in establishing rapport with Chapman professional staff
Guest Relations Coordinators will be paid $9.75/hour. Hours include 8-10 hours a week in Spring 2015, 10-15 hours a week in Summer 2015, 15 hours a week in Fall and Spring semesters, and 15 hours a week during Interterm 2015, Spring Break 2015.
Guest Relations Coordinators will begin work on March 30, 2015.
For summer work, Guest Relations Coordinators will begin work on June 1, 2015.
Work during Interterm 2016 is required. GRC’s are not allowed to be Orientation Assistants or Orientation Coordinators. Guest Relations Coordinators will need to be available for additional training as specified by their supervisor.
Training Date in May 2015: TBD. Need to be available for all day training from Aug 17-21, 2015.