Diversity & Equity Initiatives in the Department of Student Engagement primarily assists students in engaging in a variety of activities intended to build a value and respect for differences, a healthy sense of self, and a framework of personal ethics and values. The Diversity & Equity Program Assistant is responsible for the support and development of programs, services and resources that focus on the fulfillment of these vital Student Affairs Learning Outcomes. Through the execution of the responsibilities listed below, the D&E PA position serves to support the development of a welcoming campus climate for every student at Chapman University. Diversity & Equity Initiatives leads the way in cultivating greater inclusivity through campus wide educational initiatives, the provision of resources, programs and events, and support services seeking to meet the diverse and varying needs of many communities here at Chapman.
- Work alongside professional staff to develop, plan, and implement dialogues, events, trainings, workshops and discussions focused on a wide range of diversity and equity related topics.
- Develop content in support of enhancing existing programs and services as well as intermittently introducing new content through research, data collection or data analysis regarding diversity related topics.
- Facilitate workshops for student leadership trainings (such as Breaking Ground trainings or by request training)
- Act as supportive liaison between Diversity & Equity Initiatives and student organizations
- Assist 2-3 clubs, addressing needs specific to their club's programs, events and leadership development
- Respond to all communication from supervisor and team members within 24 hours of receiving the correspondence
- Utilize OrgSync portals connected to Diversity & Equity Initiatives for form building, calendars and marketing
- Utilize 25Live to make space reservations and interface with Media Services, Facilities and Catering for events
- Maintain, update and populate CORE, safespace committee, and CUSocialJustice email lists and Chapman Social Justice Community Facebook group with events newsletters and relevant content.
- Process registrations, confirmations, evaluations and trainer applications for the Breaking Ground program.
- Plan and execute the Social Justice BBQ, Diversity & Equity Awards, VOICES events, discussion groups, and Explicit Diversity Advisory programs.
- In collaboration with the Student Engagement Marketing Team, develop marketing strategies for programs, events and diversity initiatives that might include print marketing, social media, and videography.
- Support the continued development and administration of the Chapman Next Step Social Justice Retreat.
- Share expertise with the campus community on a wide range of diversity and equity related topics.
- Uphold all University policies while going through the event planning process
- Solicit nominations and review nominees for the Diversity & Equity Awards & Graduation Reception
- Assist in Department of Student Engagement department-wide events
- Assist in other duties as assigned
- Experience as with diversity and equity education in an academic, professional, or student organization setting
- Prior experience planning, coordinating, and executing logistics of a program or event
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to exhibit initiative and work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to use standard office equipment including computer, copier, telephones
- Minimum of a 2.5 GPA
• Experience as a leader of a diversity and equity related club or organization
• Knowledge of or experience with campus policies and procedures
• Effectiveness in establishing rapport with diverse communities of students, staff, faculty and administrators
Diversity & Equity Program Assistants will be paid $9.00/hour for 13-15 hours a week.
2-4 Diversity & Equity Program Assistants will begin work on July 1, 2014.
All other Diversity & Equity Program Assistant will begin work on August 18, 2014.