|Global education is central to a Chapman University education. At Chapman, you will receive a personalized education that will not only help you adjust to the American educational system, but will also prepare you to take your place as a productive global citizen.
Students come to Chapman from all 50 states, each U.S. territory and 73 countries, including Brazil, Canada, China, India, Germany, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam and the United Kingdom.
International students seek out Chapman because of our location —in sunny Southern California — but they also come for the incredible opportunities, including international internships, undergraduate research, study abroad programs, student activities and leadership development.
View our Fall International Travel Schedule
EducationUSA centers are the U.S. State Department's network of hundreds of advising centers in 170 countries designed to assist local students find the appropriate U.S. college or university.
+-1. Am I considered an International Student at Chapman?
To find out if you're considered an International Student, find which statement most accurately describes your situation from the list below:
I have a foreign passport or citizenship.
Yes, all citizens of countries other than the U.S. are considered international students at Chapman.
I attend an international school, but I have a U.S. passport.
No, you would be considered a U.S. Abroad applicant.
I attend a U.S. high school, but I have a foreign passport.
I am a U.S. permanent resident and a citizen of another country.
No, your U.S. permanent residency keeps you as a domestic applicant.
I am a dual citizen with the U.S.
No, your U.S. citizenship keeps you as a domestic applicant.
+-2. Will there be students like me at Chapman?
+-3. Will I have a chance to speak with an admission counselor from Chapman if I cannot come to campus to visit?
+-4. What do I do if my secondary school or university only provides one official transcript?
+-5. What do I do if my transcripts are not available in English?
- Please have your transcript translated into English. Line-by-line and word-for-word exact translation is required
- Please submit both the official transcript and the official translation
+-6. I began my university studies already; can I apply to transfer to Chapman University?
- Yes, Chapman accepts transfer applications from international students that are already studying at a U.S. university as well as students studying in universities all over the world.
- There are no minimum grades or credit amounts to apply as a transfer.
- If less than 24 credits have been earned, then SAT or ACT scores need to be submitted.
- If less than 60 credits have been earned, please submit secondary school transcripts and exam results as these will be required and reviewed.
- If you are an international transfer student who is currently in the U.S. attending/attended a community college or four year institution, you must have a baccalaureate level transferable English class. Please see WebAdvisor for a list of transferable courses based on your current institution.
- Please see transfer admission site for more details, or download our Transfer Brochure.
+-7. What are the requirements to apply to Chapman University?
- The Common Application form, Chapman Supplement and any supplemental departmental applications. For more information on applying, click here.
- All Transcripts (Mark sheets, examination results) from all secondary/ high schools and/or universities attended. English translations required if official transcript is not provided in English.Form
- Letter of Recommendation
- SAT1 or ACT scores
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: International freshman applicants who submit scores of 550 or higher on either the Critical Reasoning or Writing sections of the SAT or a sub score of 24 or higher on either Reading, English or Writing sections of the ACT will automatically have the TOEFL or IELTS requirement waived. These scores can be waived if English is your native language.
- Please contact us if you have a TOEFL/IELTS waiver question firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Supplemental Form
+-8. Is Chapman University a part of The Common Application?
- Yes, the only way to apply to Chapman is through The Common Application
- Please complete the Common Application as well as the Chapman Supplement to complete your application to Chapman University
+-9. My school does not have a school counselor, who should complete my School Forms on Common Application?
+-10. Can I check my application status online?
- Your Student Portal will allow you to monitor your application status.
- Student Portal access information is provided by the Office of Admission through the mail. If you have any troubles with your username or password, please contact the Office of Admission at: (714) 997-6711 or email@example.com. PLEASE BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR STUDENT ID NUMBER available when contacting the office.
+-11. How can I visit & tour Chapman University?
+-12. What are the Top 10 mistakes to avoid as an International Student applying to Chapman?
1. Not using the same name on ALL documents for admission. We highly recommend that you use your name as it appears on your passport for your application, SAT, TOEFL, e-mail correspondence, portfolio submissions, audition sign ups and any other documents you may submit. We cannot match your documents to your application file if the name is not consistent. The name you use on your application will used for your I-20 and visa documents, all of which should match your passport.
2. Not answering all questions on the application.
3. Having trouble with the Common Application and calling our office. Though we do love hearing from you, your best resource is the Support Center through The Common Application. They have access to solve your application troubles on their site! www.commonapp.org
4. Applying on-line with a Mac. some of the writable pdf. documents you upload for your departmental applications or supplements will come through our system blank if you use a Mac. We encourage you to check your application status on-line, and if a PDF is still missing, then submit a printed version through our ImageFax: 1-714-628-3404
5. Not submitting a completed International Supplemental Form with U.S. dollar amounts listed in the columns for Assured and Expected Support. Bank statements are also needed, especially for the visa process, if you are admitted.
6. Procrastinating on audition or video uploads and encountering technical difficulties. Complete this step EARLY so if you encounter difficulties, you still have time before the deadline to fix them. Our Service Desk will be happy to help should you encounter technical difficulties: 1.714.997.6600 or firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Faxing documents that come through poorly. Please use a ‘fine’ resolution, and fax to 1.714.628.3404, or you may e-mail documents to email@example.com as pdf. or jpeg. attachments.
8. Missing deadlines.
- High School Students: We highly recommend applying Early Action- November 1. The Regular Decision has a January 15 deadline.
- Transfer Students: The deadline for Fall is March 15 (classes begin in late August) and for Spring is October 15 (classes begin in late January).
9. Listing an e-mail address you no longer in use. We do ALL of our communication with you about your application through e-mail. Please update us with a new e-mail address if you change yours!
10. Calling or writing too much or too little about your application, and not providing enough information. It takes 3-4 weeks to process documents that arrive through on-line submission, mail or e-mail, and during our busiest months (December-February) it can take up to 6 weeks! Please be patient as we process what you have sent to us. If you do inquire, please provide your full name, date of birth, and the city and country in which you live.
- We encourage you to track your own documents through DHL, Fed Ex or Priority Mail
- We encourage you to monitor your application status through Web Advisor or MyPanther Page
+-13. What are my chances for gaining admission as an international student to Chapman?
+-14. Do I have to take the TOEFL / IELTS?
- International freshman applicants who submit scores of 550 or higher on either the Critical Reasoning or Writing sections of the SAT or a sub score of 24 or higher on Reading, English or Writing sections of the ACT will automatically have the TOEFL or IELTS requirement waived. These scores can be waived if English is your native language.
- International students who have attended all four years of secondary school (high school) where the language of instruction is English will have the TOEFL/IELTS requirement waived.
- International students who have attended a minimum three years of secondary school (high school) where the language of instruction is English, the admission committee will consider waiving the TOEFL/IELTS, but a waiver is not an automatic.
- For international transfer students already in the U.S., please plan to take a baccalaureate level transferable English course before you arrive at Chapman University. The TOEFL/IELTS is only required of an international student who is not studying in the U.S.
+-15. What are Chapman’s TOEFL, GRE and CEEB codes?
+-16. What is the required TOEFL, IELTS and PTEA scores to attend Chapman?
- Our minimum score for the TOEFL is 80 (with balanced sub-scores)
- Our minimum score for the IELTS is 6.5 (with balanced sub-scores)
- Our minimum score for the PTEA is 53
- For international transfer students already in the U.S., please plan to take a baccalaureate level transferable English course before you arrive at Chapman University.
+-17. Does Chapman require the SATs & ACTs?
Yes, an official SAT I or ACT with writing is required to complete an application to Chapman University. Even for international students and even for international students living abroad, we need these test scores. SAT or ACT is required for all first time freshman applicants or transfer students who have less than 24 credits from another college/ university at that time of application submission.
+-18. Does Chapman require SAT II / SAT Subject Tests?
+-19. Does Chapman participate in Score Choice for SAT tests?
+-20. What is the average SAT & ACT Score at Chapman?
+-21. Does Chapman have an ESL Program?
+-22. Does Chapman offer Conditional Admission?
Chapman does not offer conditional admission. At the bachelor degree level, there is no conditional admission offered for any of our majors. A student earns full admission if his or her application is strong enough in our applicant pool at the time of application. If a student is admitted, then the admission offer letter will include a statement that the admission offer is contingent upon the student's continued success. The Undergraduate Admission Office requires that an official copy of your final transcript be forwarded upon completion of your work.
We highly encourage international students seeking conditional admission to apply as a transfer student when they have completed 24 or more credits at a university or community college, have completed baccalaureate level English 100 or Writing 1 course, as well as, math at the statistics or calculus level (calculus is required for School of Business majors). The SAT or ACT requirement will be waived for transfer applicants who have completed 24 or more credits at the time of application. The TOEFL or IELTS will be waived for transfer students who have completed baccalaureate level English or Writing with a grade of C or better.
+-23. International Baccalaureate
- For admission purposes we do not require the IB diploma.
- There is no minimum IB scores required.
- IB HL exams with scores of 5 or higher can earn university credit. Please refer to the Registrar’s Office website for further information.
+-24. IGCSE and A-levels
- Students can apply during their AS levels; however, we would prefer to see students challenging themselves with the A-levels curriculum.
- In some cases, university credit can be awarded for A-levels. Please have all A-level exam results submitted to Chapman.
+-25. What is the cost of attending Chapman University?
+-26. What is the International Supplemental Form, and is it required for admission?
The International Supplemental Form is our version of the FINANCIAL CERTIFICATION; it’s a comprehensive document that is required at the time of application for admission into Chapman University. It provides details about your passport, I-20 requirements, and financial support for your studies. Download a PDF of the International Supplemental Form. Directions for submission are directly on the document; you also need submit a bank statement as well.
If you hold a US passport, are a dual citizen, or are a permanent resident, you do NOT need this document. You need to apply as a domestic student.
+-27. As an international student are there scholarships available through Chapman?
- Chapman offers competitive merit scholarships that all students who apply to the university are eligible for; however, not all students will be awarded an award. There is no separate application process as all applicants are considered at the point of a completed and on-time application.
- Merit scholarships for high school applicants are awarded according to a student's grades from high/secondary school, SAT or ACT scores, TOEFL or IETLS scores and overall academic profile and curriculum in high school in comparison to our applicant pool.
- Merit scholarships for transfer international students are based upon the incoming transfer GPA from university-level work and overall academic profile.
- Talent-based scholarships are available for those who are applying to talent-based majors (College of Performing Arts, Dodge Film & Media and Art). These are based upon audition or department application requirements.
+-28. What are the merit award range amounts?
+-29. Are international students eligible for financial aid?
+-30. How can I submit my application fees & deposits?
- Application Fee: $65 (Can be paid via credit card or wire transfer when submitting the application).
- Deposit Fee for accepted students: $200 (Can be paid via wire transfer or online through your MyChapman account).
+-31. What are the Wire Transfer Details?
Chapman University General Operating Account
One University Drive
Attention: Financial Services Dept.
Orange, CA 92866
Wells Fargo Bank - Orange Plaza
Orange Plaza Branch
101 E. Chapman Ave
ABA Number(Routing Number): 121-000-248
International Wires, Swift code: WFBIUS6WFFX Students must include their name, student ID number, and reason for wire transfer such as: Application Fee, Enrollment deposit, or Housing deposit. If depositing for both (enrollment and housing) please send two separate deposits marked accordingly.
+-32. Can International students work in the USA?
- International Students are eligible for jobs on campus for up to 19 hours a week. The amount earned will not be sufficient to put towards the cost of attendance at Chapman.
- International students may have restrictions with working off campus depending on their visa type. On an F1 visa, after the first year, an international student can work off campus at an internship if it relates to their major.
- The International Student and Scholars Services Office is available to help with all visa and work-related questions for enrolled international students.
- For more information, visit the Student Employment Office's Website.
+-33. How do I obtain my I-20 or do a SEVIS transfer?
+-34. Who is my admission counselor?
+-35. I'm planning on applying for Film Production within the Dodge College of Film and Media Arts, when should I apply?
All Film Production majors must apply for EARLY ACTION (November 1st) deadline. All other applicants for other majors get to choose Early Action or Regular Decision, but not those interested in Film Production. If you miss this deadline or if you apply for Regular Decision or, even worse, if you apply Late (after Regular Decision), you have drastically decreased your chances for admission into that program for that year. Applying for Film Production at any other time besides the EA deadline is not an option for applicants who want real consideration.
- Undergraduate Admission
- Why Chapman?+
- Can I Afford Chapman?+
- Visiting Chapman+
- How to Apply+
- Meet Your Counselors
- Check Admission Status+
- Transfer Students+
- Discover Chapman Day+
- International Students+
- College Guidance Counselors+
- Department/Art Supplement Requirements+
- Transfer Student College Fairs+
- International Travel Schedule+
- High School Visits & College Fairs+
- Meet the Class of 2017
- Class of 2018
- Application Tips+